Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon 135-W or Fuji 135-CMW??

Dave Karp

Re: Nikon 135-W or Fuji 135-CMW??

Hi Doc,

I'm not suggesting either size. I just said that I have a 125 and a 150 in the NW series, and if the 135 NW is as good as these, he could save some $ and have a really nice lens. He asked if I have an NW or CM-W, and I reiterated that I own a 125 and 150 and like them both a lot. The CM-W will fit nicely with his kit, because all of his lenses are 67mm. It will also give him a bit more coverage. I just suggested a 135 NW in case, like me, he is on a budget. If so, the NW is a great deal and a very good lens.

Needless to say David and Drew influenced me greatly. Yes. I like 125mm. I like saving money. I like saving size and weight.

I started with an Ektar 127mm lens. The Fujinon-W 125mm lens comes with a larger image circle and similar overall size as the Ektar. I already had a handful of B+W 46mm filters for the rangefinder lenses. More money saved.

That's just me. The OP wants a 135mm lens with 67mm filters. I can appreciate that.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Octogenarian

Wayne,

My point is that neither you nor David owns, or have hands-on experience, with a Nikkor f5.6 135W or a Fujinon f5.6 135CM-W lens.

The OP specifically asked for a comparison between those two lenses.

Neither you nor David were able to offer any specific information. Instead, both of you mentioned lenses of different focal lengths, stating that they would be less costly, smaller in size, etc. The OP never implied that he was looking for a lower price or a smaller, lighter weight lens. You merely assumed that.

David recommended the Fuji lenses without comparing them to the Nikkor lenses. He assumed that the older Fuji W series would be equal to the newer Fuji CM-W series if both were EBC coated. There are several other significant improvements in the manufacturing process of the CM-W series.
    Of course they are more expensive. That's not what the OP was inquiring about.

Since I know both of you guys, I am assuming that I can talk to you as a friend.
    Please don't take my remarks as being hostile.

Drew Wiley

Gem - wasn't suggesting a change in the focal length, but was merely implying what a
    strong reputation Fuji has in this series of lenses, whether or not they are the very
    latest rendition. And sometimes something like a smaller filter size or a little less bulk is a deciding factor.

Dave Karp

I did not compare to the Nikkor lenses because you already did. And, to be honest, in most instances, I don't think it matters whether you buy a Nikkor or a Fuji. Nobody else will know the difference, and chances are, if a photographer did not know which lens was used to their own photo, they would not be able to tell either.

I did not say the two series of Fujis were equal. I do believe, however, that nobody would be able to tell the difference in photos taken in real world use between the two series of Fuji lenses. The lower price or smaller size of the NW might have been attractive, so that is why I mentioned it.

It does not seem to be a problem to me to mention something that is not exactly what the original poster asked about. Sometimes extra information turns out to be useful, sometimes it can be ignored. That is for the original poster to decide.

I know you are not being hostile. No offense taken. Just a different viewpoint on how conversations go.

Hey guys thanks for all the comments. I ended up ordering a 135cmw from keh. I think I got a good deal on it. I did look online for the NW but the only thing I could find was on evilbay coming from japan. The written info I read on the nikon came from photo.net and then the resolution test done over at Kerry T's website link. Thanks again for all your comments and I'm sure I will use and enjoy the lens for many years.
    PBrooks
    Last edited by PBrooks; 13-Nov-2009 at 21:01. Reason: misspell

Enjoy!
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Dave Karp

Enjoy the Fuji. So far, I have not met a Fujinon LF lens that I did not like!

Cool Re: Nikon 135-W or Fuji 135-CMW??

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Enjoy the Fuji. So far, I have not met a Fujinon LF lens that I did not like!
    Amen! I'm 2 for 2.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

It was Gem who introduced me to Fujinon lenses five or six years ago. On his recommendation, I purchased a new Fujinon 125mm from Jim at Midwest. It is a terrific lens, which I use most often on the Toyo AX and sometimes on the Cambo. Thank you, Gem.