Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky Arca-Swiss B1 Ballhead

Re: Sticky Arca-Swiss B1 Ballhead

Very good. Thanks for the replies. It's the more recent design with the silver minimum tension screw, but perhaps it has one of the old, problematic parts in it. I'll contact Precision Camera and see if they can do anything with it.

I wish I'd never bought the bloody thing, it was expensive and was always sticky and never locked down. A serious waste of money.

The FOBA was much cheaper and locked down when you wanted it.

But for LF and MF I swear by 3-way heads, my Gitzo G1570M cannot be beat, neither can the Ries.

Brett,

I am having my B 1 overhauled at PCW right now, total bill, 130.00 for cla, re setting the locking screw that fell out and changing the calottes. "guaranteed better than new".

Given the years I have had it (15 or so I would guess) and that it has performed flawlessly every time, not too bad. Bob seems to be a good guy to deal with. Like Brian, mine locked up once, so I taped over the small screw and never suffered the problem again.

Ron, if yours didn't lock down, then there was something seriously wrong with it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Ron, if yours didn't lock down, then there was something seriously wrong with it.
    It used to ... when I get a few spare bucks I'll have to send it for service ... then sell the bugger !!

Brett,

Mine came back yesterday, feels like new, cleaned and lubed, it looks like new too.
    All the details were covered, right down to not using shippers tape on the bubble wrap so it can be re-used!
    1/4 of the price I posted here was for cross border shipping insured, so don't base the repair on my quoted price.

Just wanted to report back on this. I sent it off to Precision Camera and it was indeed a bad lower calotte. Bob replaced it and sent the head back to me very quickly. It now works perfectly!

Thanks to Bob at Precision for his help and to everyone here who contributed information.

-Brett