Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petzval with diaphram

45-57-617

Petzval with diaphram

Hi,

I'm in the market for a petzval lens of some description to take a portrait or two on 4x5. I would like to have it in shutter with a diaphragm and be multicoated .... but I'll have to compromise ...

I've got the shutter thing covered. One uses a 'Packard' shutter on the front. But the aperture diaphram thing? I've been watching EBay and reading some of the old catalogues at cameraecentric and I can't remember seeing a production lens with an aperture diaphram. As I understand it the aperture diaphragm appeared sometime around 1900? And the Petzval style of lens was made in fewer numbers from that time on as well.

Can someone enlighten me to the name/s of lenses suitable to the task? I've got a 4 inch lensboard limit (Shen Hao 5x7). I really don't want to fiddle with waterhouse stops and one EBay dealer told me to use a card with a hole in it!! (I don't even know whether this would work. Isn't the position of the aperture important?)

There is a lens dealer here in Aust on EBay who, in my opinion, doesn't give very good descriptions nor photos and I'm thinking they might be copy lenses?!? (is this possible?). They do not have any markings apparently?!? No names nor serial nums ...

Its a bit of a minefield this vintage stuff isn't it!

Cheers,

Re: Petzval with diaphram

Not to worry, there are several excellent petzval portrait lenses with adjustable irises. Two that come to mind are the Wollensak Vitax and Vesta, F3.8 and F4 respectively. I'm pretty sure the later Dallmeyer A, B, and D petzvals had irises too. Check the Cameraeccentric website.

45-57-617

Thanks, goamules.

I haven't looked at the rest of the website. Just the docs that came up in a search.

I think the Dallmeyer brand gets a fair bit of attention.

There is a lot of interest in the subject at present which makes buying particularly risky. I have problems shelling out big bikkies for unknown items!

Cheers,

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Well, I am the fortunate owner of a Darlot 15" Portrait lens with an iris. It will be a bit big for you due to it's size and weight. About 4lbs and covers my 11x14.

Jim

45-57-617

Yep.

Just covering 4x5 is what I want ...

Cheers,

I have a black enameled Dallmeyer 1A Patent Portrait lens with adjustable diaphragm. They were made, but may be difficult to source.

the latter dallmeyers have irises....some are even coated.....you will pay handsomely for them.

you can easily make water house stops from cardboard as the seller said. you just slip them into the existing slot. no worries.

goamules gave you some good leads. buy from this forum and avoid unscrupulous e bay sellers. the people here are mostly very honest...only a few bad apples. post a WTB in the for sale section.

eddie

PS. all you need is a bigger camera:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=55613

you will probably pay almost as much for a small lens to fit your 4x5......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

45-57-617

Thanks Eddie and Joe,

I believe the Dallmeyer lens may have been made in an un-named / unbranded fashion? The 1A sounds about right as far as coverage is concerned.

With the un-named brands I guess one goes by the size.

I just bought an un-named petval-looking thing ... I now have the task of discovering it!

I based my guess on the assumption that petzval lenses very commonly have the adjuster wheel. I wonder what other types of lenses from that time had those wheels?

Cheers,

The last petzval was the Rembrandt, a coated lens manufactured by Boyer for Burke and James. They had irises and were usually mounted with Packard Shutters. I have never seen one in a speed shutter. Note: not all "Rembrandt" lenses were petzvals.

"As I understand it the aperture diaphragm appeared sometime around 1900?"

No, actually it was introduced more than four decades earlier.

The iris diaphragm appeared in lenses manufactured in 1857 by the Americans C. C. Harrison and Joseph Schnitzer. They were awarded a patent for the basic design, which hasn't really changed much, the following year (1858).

A brief history, with a copy of their design and original patent, is posted online at the "Antique and Classic Cameras" site:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us