Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: F:64 -Sharp is Dead

Re: F:64 -Sharp is Dead

Threads like this are dead before they're born.

Can we perhaps start a new section of the forum titled "Film vs Digital" so we can move all of this nonsense there, and I can just avoid it entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Just as I was prepared to ask if I can have a Ph.D. for reading every work of every one of Rick "Once the smartest engineer on this, or any other, forum" Denny's posts... I am struck by an immense saddness.

Sir, I hate to say this out loud, but:

Sentence 1 = heresy.

Sentence 2 = unproven conjecture.

Flattery will get you nowhere...but please keep trying.

It is heresy that piano players would prefer an acoustic piano over an electronic keyboard, even if the latter sounded exactly like a real piano? News to me!

It is not necessary for the second statement to be true or false. It makes my point only by being possible--it is conceivable that a pianist could someday sit down to an electronic device, blindfolded, and feel and hear the same thing as if sitting down at a Steinway. My point is that it isn't technology that keeps us from achieving that, it's that the electronic devices provide such a different set of possibilities that the artists who use them go off in other directions and abandon any attempt at mere duplication before technology has a chance to get there. When given the choice, they might choose the electronic instrument, or they might own a piano only for romantic/emotional reasons.

Rick "who justifies large-format photography mostly on romantic/emotional reasons, but those are good enough for him" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Sentence 1 = heresy.

Sentence 2 = unproven conjecture.
    I reacted differently, more like:

Sentence 1 = Prevailing attitude (and maybe pandemic affliction) among LF photographers

Sentence 2 = unfalsifiable conjecture.

My larger problem with Rick's post about digital pianos is that not all of them reproduce a sampled acoustic piano. Some mathematically model the detailed physics of an acoustic piano and implement these models in software running on a digital signal processor. See the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_modeling

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Rick "who justifies large-format photography mostly on romantic/emotional reasons, but those are good enough for him" Denney

Me too. But it doesn't really stop there, does it? How you feel about your tools (and how you feel when you use them) most definitely affects the outcome. People are always inclined to treat cameras as "just tools", and if one has the same technical merit then they will produce the same results. Well, on a test bed, sure, but photographers aren't test beds, and how their tools operate does affect the outcome.

It always baffles me when people take a strictly "specs" approach to an artistic or craft endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Indeed, you're kidding...
    No. He's selling a book.

I like your work.

http://www.jayallan.com/home

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Flattery will get you nowhere...but please keep trying.

It is heresy that piano players would prefer an acoustic piano over an electronic keyboard, even if the latter sounded exactly like a real piano? News to me!
    I was reacting more to the way you phrased the end of that sentence, "if only because they admire the device itself." It goes way beyond that. It's not just about the sound, it's about the tactile nature of the keyboard performance.

My "dig" at the second comment is only because that nut has not yet been cracked.

It seems like it has so far been easier and more successful to digitally duplicate the sound of instruments (although many can still hear the difference for whatever reason) than it has ever been (or may ever be) to duplicate the tactile feel of piano/organ keyboards.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 6-Nov-2009 at 12:10. Reason: Trying to be more understandable... I'm still taking medication :)

Quote Originally Posted by harrykauf View Post
    Different person I think; Allen versus Allan.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kierstead View Post
    It always baffles me when people take a strictly "specs" approach to an artistic or craft endeavor.
    I sometimes get baffled when people take a strictly "specs" approach to an engineering endeavor. But I won't say much more and let Prof. Denney discuss, once again, completeness and validation of requirements, &ct, &ct.

So images from a D-70 & LensBaby are "in" again?
    Film or digi, I don't think sharp will ever be totally out.(regardless of equipment choice.)
    I would really like to see Jay's work!