Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using an Epson v750 to scan 5x7

Re: Using an Epson v750 to scan 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Mostly, I want to scan black and white and colour negatives to determine which ones go in the trash and which ones go to the gentleman who scans and prints my photographs. We have a working relationship, he knows what I want and he does good work. I use my scanner for deciding what I want to take further; I don't do my own printing.
    If you need a proof, just drop the negative on the glass. Scan as b&w negative and inspect. I do this with all of my negatives.

Example:

This holder from BS: is it a wet, a dry or a wet OR dry type of holder? I'm finding it an important question to ask i.e., what the part number and item description of this holder is you folks obtained from from BS is? There seems to be two holders featured for by BS for the V7xx scanners. When I ordered one on their website it said "Holder for V750" but (in addition) there was a separate hyperlink for a combination holder/ANR glass package, so I clicked that. Just before sending my cashier's check I enquired to make sure and, sure enough, that holder/glass combination will NOT permit wetmounts. I had to cancel the order and am kind of in limbo here. Could you be explicit for us? None of us need another holder (however improved) that doesn't meet expectations.
    Down at the camera shop they told me to use Mineral Oil instead of Kami fluid. Comments anyone?
    Teflon and plastic washers are available at Ace and such hardware stores.
    Also, is Kami fluid substitutable with some other liquid readily available from the chemist (at vastly reduced prices)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    If you need a proof, just drop the negative on the glass. Scan as b&w negative and inspect. I do this with all of my negatives.
    Oh Jeremy, You cut your rolls into strips of 4? What blasphemy!

Don

I take it you're talking about the MountingStation. If you intend to do any dry mounting, you should order the "dry AND fluid" version, which uses an ANR glass. (There are possibly other ways of getting to their ordering page, but this is where I find it. You can choose from either "fluid mounting only" or "dry and fluid".)
    I don't understand how any possible combo of the Mounting Station will not permit wetmounts. Wetmounts can be done on both standard glass and ANR glass, while DRY mounting needs ANR glass (which is why the "dry and fluid" version is more expensive).
    There is a lot of information on the pages, which (I take it) have been written by Doug in the best of intentions to be as clear as possible.
    Anyhow, for mounting fluid I use Kami. Nice and clean to work with and no residues. As you only use a few drops per negative, a quart bottle goes a long way. (There are other brands, but check this and other forums for comments and reviews. There is also a page with links on the BetterScanning pages.)

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Oh Jeremy, You cut your rolls into strips of 4? What blasphemy!

Don
    Isn't that what happens with most C41 lab processed films? (I.e. blasphemy. )

//Björn

For clarification, yes, Bjorn is correct. The mounting station can do fluid scanning, or optionally, fluid + dry scanning (the latter incorporates the expensive AN glass).

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com