Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jack Dykinga / View Camera

Re: Jack Dykinga / View Camera

Don Nelson, golly gee, lighten up a little will you? 99% of the large formatters here understand exactly what was asked. That being said, I am now going to make a few audio cd dupes for the darkroom of music I purchased.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    David

Copyright laws in this country are well known

Hope this is clear enough for you
    I'll bet you're a lot of fun at parties, too.

There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. It's a simple man who follows the letter rigidly, without reflection.
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

I spent a fair portion of my college career xeroxing articles out of periodicals in the library to write papers. Professors and Librarians encouraged this illegal behavior! I guess my college days were illegal in more ways than just the parties.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I spent a fair portion of my college career xeroxing articles out of periodicals in the library to write papers. Professors and Librarians encouraged this illegal behavior! I guess my college days were illegal in more ways than just the parties.
    I don't think that use is illegal.

Don Bryant

I guess I'm just getting old, but why not visit a "library", you know, one of those buildings with book things you can read. If they don't have it, they can likely order it from another library. It isn't instant gratification, but it usually works.

Cheers, Steve

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I don't think that use is illegal.
    Why think when you can read and know: Section 107, Fair Use.

In general I understand that it is not the copying, per se, that violates the law... but the usage of the copied material. Personal/academic = Fair Use; Commercial = Unfair Use.

So what about the logic that if someone copies a licensed/copyrighted work, like a CD... that the law is only broken if two people simultaneously look/listen to it? (Hey, Frank... won't you send me a few tunes???)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Why think when you can read and know: Section 107, Fair Use.

In general I understand that it is not the copying, per se, that violates the law... but the usage of the copied material. Personal/academic = Fair Use; Commercial = Unfair Use.
    That's my understanding of the position. Neither VC or Jack have replied yet to my e-mails, and unfortunately the library option doesn't work for me as I am based in Switzerland (with my back copies of VC in storage in the UK), so I am still looking for a copy of the article, or a copy of this back issue to buy. It's one of the inputs I would like to have to a collaborative project with another photographer. Perhaps someone on this forum can help.

Thanks

David

When you use interlibrary loans for periodical articles the lending library sends you a photocopy of the article. Also, at least in Canada, you legally can photocopy small sections of books and periodicals under "fair use". You can also legally copy CDs or books that you own and use the copy if you do not sell or give away the original. We actually pay a tax or levy on each blank CD or DVD to cover any loss of income and this applies even to DVDs that you use to backup your LF scans.

David: sorry I do not have issues that far back or else I would scan the article into a PDF and sent it to you or a photocopy.

In this case the OP owns a legal copy, just is not at the location that his copy is located. Sounds like it would be a weak case in court.