Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About scanning negatives (4x5)

Re: About scanning negatives (4x5)

Epson has made a lot of them. The first that I know of (because I have one) is the Perfection 1680 with Transparency unit. Epson sold these with or without the lid with the light & negative holders. Mine came with all the film goodies and works fine for printing.

Moving forward, we have the Epson 4990, V-700 & V-750. All three will handle all 3 formats. I have printed 16x20 from 6x7 negatives scanned on a 4990. Works for me.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I just came across the Epson V500 and the Canon 8800F. They get good reviews by the users on Amazon (minimum 4 stars) and the price looks nice (around $160). I also forgot to mention two things that are important to me in considering which scanner to get: 1) that it be compatible with Mac OS X, and 2) that it can also scan reversal (slide) film. Thanks.

(I looked at some of the other suggestions and the prices are very high. Perhaps that's way more than I need.)

I don't think that the V500 will handle 4x5 film.

All Epsons that will handle 4x5 film will handle positive & negative film, color or B&W.

Used 4990s sell for $200-$250.

Things you get when buy a professional scanner.

Here's a quote from the Canon 8800 specs:

"Batch-scan up to 4 slides or 12 35mm frames " No mention of MF or LF.

My Epson holds more like 12-15 35mm slides or 24 35mm negatives. 4 sheets of 4x5. Having to stop and reload holders often would be a pain in the neck.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Epson has made a lot of them. The first that I know of (because I have one) is the Perfection 1680 with Transparency unit. Epson sold these with or without the lid with the light & negative holders. Mine came with all the film goodies and works fine for printing.

Moving forward, we have the Epson 4990, V-700 & V-750. All three will handle all 3 formats. I have printed 16x20 from 6x7 negatives scanned on a 4990. Works for me.
    Mine is Perfection 1650. I bought transparency adapter and holders separately and it works fine for what it is. I never really tested the resolution, but I believe its optical resolution is 1600 dpi. It works pretty well for what it is, definitely good enough for Web. It's still got some good life in it so, I'll find it a good home one of these days when I get my V700.

All the images I posted lately (mostly in the Water's Edge and Rocks and Stones threads) were scanned with this scanner.

Marko

Okay, I was trying to get one of the famed Epson 4990s but these are virtually non-existent. Recently, I haven't been able to find any on eBay, Craigslist, or here on this forum. What else can I get that I will be able to find more easily?

Again, my requirements are, I believe, quite simple. I want something that scans negatives and transparencies, 35mm, MF, and LF (4x5). I will not be printing from the scans. I want to scan negatives to post on the internet and, since printing the larger formats is so expensive, to have a portfolio of my work that I can look at so I can decide which neg/pos to print.

Thanks.

35mm scans from flatbed scanners are not great. Ok for small web images, but larger is not so good when compared with a Coolscan 5000 or similar. Medium format is ok. 8800F is not nearly as good as v700.

Earlier Epson's like the 3200 and 4870, (or even older 1200U or 1640SU) would be fine. I've used the 3200 and 1640SU and they have been fine (have a 700 now).

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Okay, I was trying to get one of the famed Epson 4990s but these are virtually non-existent. Recently, I haven't been able to find any on eBay, Craigslist, or here on this forum. What else can I get that I will be able to find more easily?

Again, my requirements are, I believe, quite simple. I want something that scans negatives and transparencies, 35mm, MF, and LF (4x5). I will not be printing from the scans. I want to scan negatives to post on the internet and, since printing the larger formats is so expensive, to have a portfolio of my work that I can look at so I can decide which neg/pos to print.

Thanks.
    Even an Epson 2450, if you can find one, will meet your needs, which are similar to my own. I have one and it will even produce a credible 8x10 (depending on your printer of course) if need be. I use it for both 35mm and 4x5.

If all you are doing is uploading to the web, you can stick the film on a light box and take a picture of it with a point and shoot.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    If all you are doing is uploading to the web, you can stick the film on a light box and take a picture of it with a point and shoot.
    Thanks, Lenny, but no thanks.