Thread: Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

Claudio Santambrogio

Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

Paul Floyd Blake wins this year's Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize with a beautiful portrait of Rosie Bancroft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertain...re/8339985.stm

Does anybody know something about the technical aspects of that shot? Somehow it "feels" and "breathes" something of large format… but I couldn't find anything about the technical aspects.

Re: Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

The LF-look is probably due to that vertical lines are vertical (or almost vertical in the case of the door, could be crooked) and low depth-of-field. The image on his web site is a little bit bigger. The description "was captured on camera during a short interval in a busy training day" doesn't sound too much like LF to me.

His other work doesn't look much like LF to me, but of course I might be totally wrong on either one :-)

It could be medium format, or just 35mm (more likely a DSLR) with a fast lens. I think there's some convergence in the door frame. Of course, he could be a large format photographer who prefers to use minimal, or no, movements; difficult to determine format from a small digital image.

I can't figure why that shot wins $20K and the next perfectly good one doesn't, it seems like you'd get better odds with the lottery or Vegas....

Quote Originally Posted by eschatologized View Post
    It could be medium format, or just 35mm (more likely a DSLR) with a fast lens. I think there's some convergence in the door frame. Of course, he could be a large format photographer who prefers to use minimal, or no, movements; difficult to determine format from a small digital image.
    "Blake eschews digital technology: he uses a 5x4 Wista field camera, a modern version of the 19th-century plate cameras. "To get the same quality with a digital camera, you're looking at £20,000," said Blake. "It's got bellows and lots of different movements which I tend not to muck around with. I'm not [German photographer] Andreas Gursky."

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...tography-prize

Claudio Santambrogio

Hah, thanks! Nice to see confirmed my "feeling"

I guess I was also right that he doesn't use movements much.

has it occurred to anyone that when you "correct" perspective on architectural elements, eg. convergence in a doorframe, you also "correct" perspective on everything else in the image, eg. the subject? when correction doesn't cause distortion it still effectively alters the point-of-view of the camera, and i for one like the point-of-view just as it is. in my opinion, there is a stillness to this photograph that is dynamic rather than static; not easy to accomplish in lf. the fact that others weren't sure what format was used seems to support my impression and should be considered a compliment by the photographer. i haven't seen the other entries in the competition but i fail to see why anyone would find this one to be undeserving of an award.