Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

I would go for either option. Yahoo has proved quite reliable, photo net locates the LF format in the subject area for browsers. I am sorry to see the list close

Robin

I've only been reading this forum for less than a year, but photo.net for a few more. It gets my vote, although I'd agree with a previous poster who said that the copyright should be held elsewhere. They've been getting a bit commercial of late. As to the interface being bad, you can switch off the JavaScript menus if you like, and it seems pretty stable compared with most other forums I've read. the other advantage is the number of other folks who'll no doubt be attracted to LF because of the sheer number of people that the forum will be exposed (sic) to. Or a disadvantage; TBA...

I prefer the photo.net option to Yahoo!Groups, if an independent server cannot be found. The MF forum is fairly civilized, and I think this forum would be pretty much the same over there. We would also get the photo.net search engine, the ability to post images to the forum directly without having them on a separate site, and we could keep the structure of the list the same.

There is too much clutter and advertising at Yahoo, and it is difficult to include HTML in posts (long URL's are routinely truncated), and images have to be kept separate from the post itself, and it is difficult to follow long threads and return to old threads in that format.

Despite some problems, I vote for photo.net. Many of us read other forums there already. Keep it as a separate topic, parallel to MF and Nature.

Please please please??don?t leave me!

Leave the forum run with the current software interface. The current forum interface works flawlessly in creating my own AvantGo ?LF Forum Channel?. I download the forum two and three times a day to my Palm and read it offline, often in the field waiting for light. All other forum software is useless for this application and even clunky to read online.

Thank you for your consideration.

My vote is to photo.net. I use the medium format forum a lot with no problems.

Another vote for photo.net as a separate entity, such as the MF forum. NO NO NO to Yahoo!! I agree that it's a major priority to keep the present archived threads easily accessible.

Danny Burk www.dannyburk.com

I am likewise trying to negotiate with Photo.net to move the Alternative Process, Film & Developing, and Printing & Finishing forums to their server. I don't see any other valid option.

Hi all,

I think I can offer some help to maintain the phorum as follows:

1.- I own a small web hosting company that could provide hosting space for the forum, the page or both.

2.- I could help installing ACS or whatever software you would like to maintain the phorum in.

This board is so fabulous that it would be a chame to let it die.

Please let me know what I can help with...

Enrique Vila.- evilap@yahoo.com

Tuan,

Top choice: an independent server running the current software (not just importing existing data). Ask us for money if necessary.

Second choice: separate forum under photo.net, as long as copyright issues are resolved. This option is less desirable because of the increasingly commercial nature of photo.net. Also, MFD seems to attract a larger number of less professional/civil posters than this forum does. Don't know whether that was the case before its association with photo.net, so can't say if there's a causal relationship or even a correlation.

Please not Yahoo or any other similar system.

Thanks for everything you've done so far, and thanks to Phil for having made greenspun.com available until now.