Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

A LF forum already exists on photo.net, I'd guess any arrangement with them may involve uniting the two forums, check here to see content:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-one-category? topic_id=23&category=Large%20Format

Although I haven't been a regular contributor to this forum, my vote (if valid) would be to go to photo.net.

My vote for porting it over to photo.net.

Michael, the url you posted takes one to a message saying the forum cannot be found. It affers a link to a list of photo.net forums and suggests looking there. I did so, and there's no LF forum listed.

To the user, the MF digest on photo.net appears very much like this forum. (More so like it than any of the other forum formats I've seen - almost identical in use, except you need to log in to post.) Therefore I'd vote for that route (as a separate forum - NOT as part of the general photo.net discussion!).

Cheers, and thanks to Tuan for the great job he does!

My vote would be for photo.net over yahoo any day of the week. That said, I think an independent server would be the best idea, even if it meant having to periodically ask users for a little monetary support- I'd much rather throw in $10.00 every now and then than see this forum lost. Another idea for funding if an independent server is chosen would be to accept sponsorship from a few LF-Related companies. Who knows, maybe someone like Sinar Bron would help fund things if they were allowed to put ads at the end of threads like Phil Greenspun's articles are appearing right now.

First Choice: Move this forum in it's present configuration to a new server. It looks like we have a couple of offers already.

Second Choice: Go over to Photo.net (can we move the archives too?).

Please don't: Go to Yahoo. The interface is awful.

Regards

photo.net is ok as long as we don't have to get past the moderator hurdle.

This forum has been a tremendous help to me and I don't want to see it die either. Yahoo is in the dark ages when it comes to usability, and so are most other similar options as far as I can tell. This software is terrific! Seems to me the best option would be to go with photo.net unless one of the other offers appears to be solid for the long run. The Web is very unpredictable on its best day re: providers and servers staying in place, but we should find as reliable a home as possible.I would not hesitate to pay a fee for the service if need be. For something of this high quality we should be willing to pay to find a solid and reliable home we can depend on. Many of the posts above have talked about the quality as the reason they use the forum - anything good costs money and takes time and effort.

Kevin Kolosky

seems like nobody asks the question as to why this site cannot be maintained. Is it because of cost. then how about everyone who likes to use this site pitching in to pay for it. long ago I learned that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Where do I send the check?