Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

Photo.net does seem to be down a lot lately. It seems like we have a choice between an unreliable system (photo.net) and a hard-to-use system (Yahoo Groups). Can anyone suggest any other alternatives?

Tuan: does Phil have anything to say about the recent unrelability of photo.net? If there are known problems that are going to be fixed soon, then photo.net seems to be the obvious place to go.

Assuming we can't get someone else to host us, photo.net is our best option. As chance would have it, they're down right now (sigh)!

We've been spoiled by good service in a non-commercial environment. Do you think Mr Greenspun would change his mind if we all cried and whimpered in unison? How about obsequious flattery? I'm prepared to try anything.

photo.net is my vote. I had posted previously why this wasn't part of that forum anyway. The format of the public groups like Yahoo or Google are very cumbersome to use.

Here's my vote for photo.net. The medium format digest is useful and it would be better to go that route versus yahoo.

I think photo.net would be a fine solution. My suggestion is for Q.-Tuan Luong to get a written document giving him (or the entire community) copyright to the postings that would be made at photo.net so that if something goes wrong with photo.net he would be able to transfer the LF postings at photo.net to somewhere else. The worst case scenario would be for photo.net to suddenly disappear and transfer its assests, including the contents of the photo.net site, to some creditor, the creditor then just placing them on the shelf.

Between the options given, i would vote to merge with Photo.net. This site seems to attract quite a few people interested in moving up to large format and as someone else stated, the widest possible audience the forum can be exposed to the better for all of us in the long run. And by all means, keep the archives, it is a valuable storehouse of info that I look to first before posting questions.

Please NOT photo.net. I've been on that site. In my opinion, the photonet interface is pretty ackward. I think part of the success of this site is due to the ease at which the ACS software enables one to leave posts and responses.

Also, we should thank Phil Greenspun for his support enabling this site to have such a strong beginning. And, we need to keep it going.

Actually, I would like to see the archived data moved into a newer system that has more seach capabilities. Here is a link to a very popular application:

http://www.discusware.com/discus/home/

And it's free!

We would definitely benefit from being in the photo.net community, however. Tough choice. Definitely NO to the Yahoo groups.

I have been with photo.net MF for some time now and from a software developers point of view I only have good things to say. It is much more reliable and user-friendly than the majority of forum/mail support systems out there, is tried and tested, has added security and likely guaranteed future support. All software are flawed, some less, some more. I would however like to add that I do not believe it is impossibly difficult to upgrade(or only keep alive) this system and that it would be my first choice. A NEW system is not a solution and neither the solution.

But whatever we decide, we must not/can not go the yahoo/whatever/.. route. We will fight in the cities. We will fight in the streets. We will fight in the fields... We will never give up Ryan

No to Yahoo. Yes to photo.net.

The more esoteric forums on photo.net (e.g. medium-format and Nature) have not been swamped with idiot questions nor are their threads controlled by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

It's been a great ride here, and I'm sorry to see it ending....