Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is photographic integrity dead?

Re: Is photographic integrity dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Well said. FWIW it seems most of these recent threads have been started by relatively new members who must not be aware that these same topics have been regurgitated over and over and over again for years here. For all newcomers, this forum has long accepted digital as a vital part of the photographic arsenal.
    But, but, but! (she sputtered). Isn't that exactly the point of a forum such as this? I can't be considered a newcomer to anything but maybe AARP, and I'd absolutely hate it if LF were solely that demographic. How will LF stay alive if we poo-poo the honest and legitimate philosophical questions of new members. And, hell, they might even have an insight or two worth listening to.

d

Hans, and here I thought that in your first two posts you were making fun of the idea that a person who makes inkjet prints isn't a photographer.

It didn't even occur to me that you might be serious.

dwross,

Yes, I think that the question was sincere too, and I can only hope that the person who asked it has a fairly thick skin given the schoolboy pack mentality to which he/she has been subjected.

I don't happen to agree with him/her, but I do believe that there is something to the question raised that is not quite so self-evidently stupid or repetitive as some think. It's clear that some of the people who responded didn't even understand the question.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Digital imaging and artistic expression with it is fine, making money from it is, fine as well. It's just not photography, never has been, never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Well said. FWIW it seems most of these recent threads have been started by relatively new members who must not be aware that these same topics have been regurgitated over and over and over again for years here. For all newcomers, this forum has long accepted digital as a vital part of the photographic arsenal.
    Last edited by Greg Blank; 3-Nov-2009 at 18:52.

Since there has never been any integrity in photography, integrity isn't dead because it was never alive to begin with.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Vanguad View Post
    i agree, hybrid inkjetters pumping out magazine pages , calling themselves photographers. lol

get a dictionary and drop the photographer term ,a inkjetter not a photographer

is that a real photograph?...

no its a inkjet lol
    Oh hell, it's this idiot again.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Yes humans can have integrity. If electronics don't have integrity they don't work.

If structural steel looses its integrity the building may fall down. Consider those things next time you vote for an elected official

In the old days humans were less squeemish about feeling a little pain, now a days getting a hang nail is cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Vanguad View Post
    everything has integrity, humans have integrity (if they choose to) steel and electronics do not

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Digital imaging and artsic expression with it is fine, making money from it is, fine as well. It's just not photography, never has been, never will be.
    Dude.... ....so when I travel to say northern New Mexico to do a magazine shoot and bring my 5D11 camera for the color magazine shoot and the Phillips 4x5 camera to do some personal b&w photography, at some point in this uninterpreted image making journey (which entails switching between cameras and even stitching some DSLR shots for personal b&w prints when I run out of 4x5 film), I cease to be a photographer using cameras making photographs? I come home and process files for the magazine and develop film and scan the film and tweak the files, printing some traditionally and some digitally and at some point I am not a photographer making photographs? When I hang a show of both digital and traditional prints it is not a photography show? When I teach architectural photography classes with both DSLR cameras and view cameras at some point I am not teaching photography in the photography department to photography students? Could have fooled me. They are all just tools with different strengths and weaknesses for photographic image making and I wouldn't trade any them (unless a better tool comes along).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Isn't there supposed to be a weekly vote on who gets kicked off the island?

And is this the requested graphic?

Clay

Why I am wasting two minutes of my life posting this is a mystery even to me, but here goes:

The idea that a process or technique possesses integrity is what is called a category error in semantics. (Look it up on wikipedia, I am running out of my two minutes). The property you call integrity is a human property, one that springs from our belief in volition and consciousness, and not a property of a process or procedure or piece of hardware. The use of the process may involve a set of choices that involves the concept of integrity, but the process itself is neutral. One can tell pretty lies with a film camera just as easily as with photoshop. UYFB. (the B stands for brain, and the U stands for use, if that is any help)

"Why I am wasting two minutes of my life posting this is a mystery even to me, but here goes"

Yeah I got sucked in too.

Should we have a special section for PHOTO THEOLOGY?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"