Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time buying a 4x5...begging for assistance.

First time buying a 4x5...begging for assistance.

Well, the subject is a tiny bit misleading, though I am looking to buy a 4x5 for the first time. My girlfriend is graduating from a pretty bigtime photo school , and I was considering purchasing for her a 4x5 camera for Christmas/Birthday/A ny_other_gift_giving_occasion_for_quite_some_time. She's getting ready to enter the world of the professional photographer, and is realizing that she will soon be without the luxury of going to the Photo buildin g on campus and checking out cameras/lights/etc. Her big love (and talent in my opinion) is doing studio work, still life, food photo and shes made several ref rences to absolutely dreaming of getting her own large format camera. I am a co mputer guy, so a lot of this stuff is like latin to me, but I sat down with her and got her to talk about the kind of things that were important, brands, bellow s, lenses, lensboards and on and on. Anyways, to cut to the chase and ask an ac tual question: I would be much indebted to anyone who could point me in the direction of any go od reading material on selecting the right camera, and any other information tha t might lead me to knock her proverbial socks off. I'm very interested in the p rospects of purchasing a used camera, but I'm quite fearful of being ripped off. If people know of nice, reputable places (other than Ebay, as that would give me a coronary) to look for used gear, as well as what I should be looking for in a "complete" package that wouldn't require lots of other "accessory" purchases on her behalf. I know shes looking for a "lens", in the 150 range, but aside fr om that all I know to look for is "camera and lens". Brand suggestions on good quality 4x5 cameras for an aspiring professional are also appreciated. I apolog ize for the length, but I've got a million questions and you good people seem to be very generous in your answers. Thank you very much for your consideration.

-Andrew Mead

Thee a couple of very nice Sinar P2 packages on eBay right now (save the nitroglycerin, using eBay won't give you a heart attack i've buying over eBay for a couple of years now and haven't had a single problem. The Sinar P2 is the best instrument for studio photography made, shw'll be able to use it for her entire career. Other than that I'd recommend an Arca-Swiss F-line camera. this camera is very close to the ideal balance of ease of use/quality/ and price as you'll find. There are many other cameras that will fit her needs but look for a camera that is a yaw free design.despite what Bob Salomon from Linhof's USA marketing company is gonna say about "yaw free" design being over rateed, all i can say is in this one regard, he is wrong.A "yaw free design will make her life in the studio much easier.

Another really good place to look for used gear is Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus, OH. I've always found them to be very helpful, and they are especially eager to help younger/student photographers (at least that's the impression I get).

Andrew... Forget about the surprise! Make sure she is by your side when you buy her the camera. She is the only one that knows what she wants!!!! Good Luck, Harry

If you are looking for a large format studio camera, check out the special deals that Robert White has on the Sinar f1 and f2. His site is at www.robertwhite.co.uk He is a great dealer to work with and you can get items shipped in about 3 days via UPS express.

I disagree, go ahead and surprise her. (I'm female, if that makes any difference.) If she has been dependent on the school's cameras she probably doesn't have a really fixed idea of what she wants/needs. You have come to the right place for advice so she won't be disappointed. Listen to Ellis, he knows. I have an Arca Swiss camera (for architecture) and it is sublime. But you probably won't find a used one. (I'm keeping mine forever.) Just make sure to buy something of quality so if someday she does want to sell it, she can.

You are a swell boyfriend.

Wow, its been like an hour and already so many helpful responses. You guys truly are amazing keep em coming. -akm

If she is like my wife, then go ahead and surprise her, BUT you might also try to get a 'line' on what she wants. Ask her to take you to a couple of dealers to show YOU how the various equipment works. She might just lead you to what she wants.

Your thing is going to be getting the best deal you can get on whatever you pick. Take some time looking at some websites, Robert White in the UK, Photomark here in the US, The F-Stops Here, and that's from a guy fairly new if LF.

After you get prices and specs, might as well come on back here, and run it by these folks. If it's one thing you'll be sure of, running it by these folks will give you feedback that is specific and well though out.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Andrew, Are you on a Cadillac budget? Used Cadillac budget? Ford budget? You get my drift. The good folks here always recommend Cadillacs. You can't go wrong with that. But there's lots of less impressive names that will still get you to town and back. Just afraid perhaps you'll price Sinars and Arca's and ditch the whole project which I'd hate to see you do.

Ahh, budget. Thats a tough question to answer, except "I'll know it when I see it" I've done some looking and it seems that one could potentially find something like an Arca Swiss Discovery Kit for like 1200ish. I suspect, though, that actually putting a lens on said camera is another subject entirely. Heck, it seems like some lenses cost more than the dang camera hehe. I guess its because the shutter is built into these lenses. Lets just say, price is obviously a big concern

-Akm