Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amateur landscape photographer wanting to try large format

Amateur landscape photographer wanting to try large format

Mr. Cad is another vendor that you may want to investigate.

http://www.mrcad.co.uk/

Wayne

Hi David, As Matthew, I just rose to LF a few weeks ago, if you are on a budget,you must buy a used camera, since there is nothing on a LF camera that could be damaged and invisible, except holes in the bellow. In UK, you have two manufacturers of great craftmanships cameras, WALKER and GANDOLFI ( www.walkercamera.com and www.gandolficorfield.co.uk ) they also have some used equipment, just have a look on their website. Beside the camera, you need a lot of things and it's going to increase your budget a lot! First of all, if you want to trek in the wilderness, you will need a rucksack, for large lormat, they are very expensive!!! I have customized one by myself, I bought a rucksack for a portable computer, strong and cheap ( Jansport, about 45 englishpounds), cut the computer pocket and sewed some strengthenings (foams and clothes), now my equipment fits in it as if it was made for! Second, it's seems to me your Gitzo will be too heavy for backpacking a long time, the better is a carbon one, but it's also very expensive!!! Third, you may need a good scan or a new enlarger for B&W, as the size rise up! Anyway, at the end, it's worth the money because the pleasure increases too! Good luck! Regards

David Two years ago I made the jump into large format on quality grounds (from 35mm) for landscape and some still-life. I'd decided on a monorail and started out with a Cambo C2 (GBP 275 from Teamwork; + Schneider 90mm f6.8 - GBP 75 from Jessops; + Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7 - GBP 110 from Mr Cad). I learned alot from using it but I wouldn't recommend it for landscape. The weight wasn't a particular issue for me, but the bulk was. It was a pain carrying it on trips and in the end this put me off taking it out even though it was fun (and very easy) to use. At the time, I couldn't find a reasonably priced, less bulky, alternative monorail. The one alternative in my price bracket was the Cambo Cadet stocked by Teamwork and KJP Photo in London, but I didn't particularly like it.

If I were doing it again and were spending up to GBP 500 on the camera, I'd buy a second-hand/ex-demo field camera - they have most of the movements I generally use and are, I find, so much easier to carry around (but others say exactly the same of monorails). In fact, I've since sold the Cambo (to Jessops who gave me GBP 175 - so I lost very little on it over the 18 months I had it) and bought an Ebony (well, what's money for..!). It's so much more portable and as a result I go out taking photos pretty much every weekend. In terms of the different cameras available in the UK, the selection second hand at this price point is not huge - probably the easiest way to decide is to look at what focal length lenses you'll be using, play with the various cameras whose bellows will accommodate these and just see what you like (whether monorail or field camera). In relation to LF shops in the UK - Robert White is IMHO the best - they were very helpful to me. If you don't live near Poole, find an excuse to go down there. Teamwork are good too and do usually have in a selection of various second hand cameras and lenses. Jessops on Oxford St in London seems to get in a steady flow of bits and pieces at reasonable prices. Mr Cad has an everchanging selection.

Finally, if you haven't already got it, buy Steve Simmons' book 'Using the View Camera' - a really good introduction to what LF is all about. (I bought it off Amazon).

Good luck!

Stephen

Hey,just to get in my two cents,ebay has been very good to me. With a little patience you can find almost anything at a good price.Good luck!

There are a few nice complete outfits on eBay UK at the moment, mostly monorails but there is a Toyo outfit with 90mm and bag bellows, case, holders etc. Maybe worth a look.

I have been away for a few days and missed the early days of this thread.

I too started in LF about 9 months ago with a s/h cambo from ebay, have now been upgraded (xmas present) to an Ebony RSW from Robert White. The cambo got me hooked but also taught me a lot of lessons about lenses, image circles etc. I recommend buying something cheap that you can sell on when (if) you get hooked. The items on ebay in the UK at the moment (sorry Paul) arent really cheap enough as "suck it and see" buys IMO.

Dont overlook the darkroom expense if you want to do traditional B&W or the extra space that a 5X4 enlarger takes up. Even if you go digital from 5X4 negs you have to add on the cost of a scanner capable of dealing with 5X4. Ironically my darkroom upgrade actually made a profit because I was able to sell my MF enlarger for more than I paid for my 5X4 enlarger !!

I echo the dealers mentioned in the UK but would add MXV (www.mxv.co.uk) who seem to sell their s/h large format lenses at a really low price. I have bought a 65mm F4 Nikkor (as new for #499) and an as new boxed 150 mm APO symmar (#199) from them recently at really good prices compared to the other dealers mentioned.

I did order a Kodak film holder from Badger in the US, as they are not available in the UK and including p&p, tax etc it cost about 1/2 what it would have cost here - had I been able to get it. TMax 100 is readily available in packets. Message is dont overlook the US stores as it can save you money.

Lastly - I do have my old Cambo monorail with a convertible 135 F5.6 Symmar available to a good home if you wanted to drop me a line.

As per Paul's offer - if you are localish to Southampton then we could arrange to meet and you could see/touch/feel the LF gear that I have and see the sorts of results I have from 9 mths experience.

Best regards

Dave

Sorry, that shoud have been - http://www.mxvphotographic.com/ They have just moved web-site.

I'm another UK based LF'er ; Surrey.

Thank you for all the truly helpful remarks made by so many contributors - I am overwhelmed and delighted with the response. If I've learnt one thing here, then it is try things out first. I really appreciate the kind offers to look at other people's LF gear. I am now a resident of Northumberland, these last ten years (though lived in the south for much of my life), so am 300 miles+ from you all. With very young children to consider, I'll not be able to get down - though thanks again for the offer, gentlemen. At least I live in the middle of one of the most photogenic counties in the country! I think I'll monitor the sources mentioned, and see what crops up. Thanks yet again,

Re: Amateur landscape photographer wanting to try large format

David i live in australia and do a fair bit of trekking so weight is important.
    I own a tachihara 5x4 field camera it is lightweight and folds away easily into a lowepro
    backpack.
    its a bit glitzy to look at with brassy looking knobs but it does the job.
    a british photographer named Peter Watson is running around your part of the world with one.
    the camera has more than enough movements for land scape work.
    the camera is one thing but lens choice is another i would recomend slightly slower designs ie f6.3 f8 these will be cheaper and lighter.
    I personaly have a super angulon90f8 fujinon 150 f6.3 & fujinon65f8.
    this kit would be a good inexspensive starters kit with about 6 film holders you would be on your way.
    cheers