View Poll Results: Do you buy your camera/lenses new or used?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • New

7 4.67%
  • Used

89 59.33%
  • A bit of each...

54 36.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy your camera/lenses new or used??

Re: Do you buy your camera/lenses new or used??

Early on, with most everything, I developed the ability to not need new stuff. Good used gear works as good as the new stuff and is much cheaper. There is also a much wider selection of types of equipment when used is considered.

Almost everything I have was purchased from Ed Olson at The Camera Show in Seattle. The key was to let Ed know what you were looking for and then visit him to BS about once a month and, eventually, he would have what you needed or wanted. He would get film holders in frequently and always at a good price. I think, over the years, I bought at least 15 8x10 holders from him when I was just in the store to say hello. Used gear sometimes works that way.

Unfortunately, Ed was a diabetic and went blind, causing him to have to sell out and retire.

When I put my 4x5 kit together, you couldn't find some lenses used very easily, like the 55mm Rodenstock Apo-Grandagon, so I bought several lenses for the 4x5 new. But when I started shooting 8x10 and larger, I can't think of a single camera or lens I've bought new.

Cheers, Steve

Claudio Santambrogio

Used - finding stuff here, the bay, and other auctions and "for sale" sites, 2nd-hand shops, etc. As Ole pointed out, that's where things are cheaper. Then, I am also interested in "historical" stuff, and you don't find that new

In days of yore I purchased exclusively new and would not have considered new other than from someone I knew.

For today, many of the items I have added to my kit in the last several years have been used, and I would note that the majority are no longer offered new from the manufacturers.

I have gotten some bargains, but for the most part have paid fair prices for truly well cared for equipment. To date, I haven't had a bad experience with large format lenses and accessories. (Not to say I haven't had other sour experiences)

A few years ago, I paid within a few dollars the same amount that the lens originally sold for a decade plus before but was happy with my purchase.

If you are asking because you are afraid that you may be stung with a bad transaction, yes the possibility exists. Caveat emptor. With reasonable intelligence I will continue to acquire used equipment.

Lascassas, TN

All my large and medium format gear was used or home made. I have purchased from KEH, Midwest, graigslist, this forum, my Nikkor 300M from a back alley camera shop in Japan.

I prefer to buy used equipment and spend the rest on film and paper.
    Bill Kumpf

Pretty much all of my lenses, for all of my cameras from 35mm thru LF have been purchased used from dealers, eBay, other photographers, etc.; the only lenses I have that came to me new are the two kit lenses that came with my Olympus DSLR. I admit that I have been very lucky...all the lenses I've bought on eBay have been as described and in good shape.

P2 4x5 - fleabay
    P2 8x10 conversion - store international mail order
    symmar 300 - private sale
    165 SA - here
    8x10 holders - here
    Tripod - new from store
    pan tilt head - fleabay
    lots of expired 8x10 chrome - here

Not had any problems with gear quality or with sellers really - where I have after sales has been good.

All but 2 lenses were bought used—some on Ebay, some from my dealer, and one from a friend. My camera inventory is equally split between used and new. If possible I would buy used, but a used Arca F is almost impossible to find!

multiplex

ebay, and shutterbug, KEH, mpex, equinoxphotographic and local ...
    most things i have gotten used
    except for studio lights + stands
    tripods and darkroom stuff ...

Depends. Back when, I bought mainly new Nikons and lenses for 'em. I didn't have access to the used market, didn't trust much of it. Cambridge Camera, ugh! But where possible I bought grey market because grey versions of the lenses I wanted were so much less expensive than official imports.

I bought used S8 cameras, mainly at camera shows. When I took up S8 used was nearly all there was.

My Graphics and lenses to fit 'em were bought used. Camera shows, dealers' web sites, eBay, private sellers on CompuServe's photo forum, ... A fair number of used lenses from sellers in the UK and continental Europe, mainly France and Germany. I still search the French equivalents of Craigslist but not Craigslist itself; most sellers on Craigslist set prices too high.

I'm sure that the latest most best LF lenses are better than the ones I use; if nothing else they have more coverage, but they're priced far out of my range. The lenses I use are good enough ...