Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another newbie question: camera availabilty in the UK

Another newbie question: camera availabilty in the UK

I live in the North of England and am just thinking seriously about going into large format (4x5). Having sold some medium-format gear, I have a few hundred pounds to spend on a camera. I've been thinking about getting either a Shen Hao or Tachihara camera new as these seem to be priced very reasonably. I know the Shen Haos are available in the UK but I can't find anyone doing the Tachihara. I tried Teamwork Digital (who do the 10x8 model) but they don't carry the 4x5. Does anyone know where I might source a Tachihara in the UK or must I consider getting one from the U.S.A. or Japan if I decide to go for that camera? I have seen used ones on eBay occasionally but my inexperience in large format has led me to be wary of buying this way because I'm not confident in being able to spot potential faults and problems.

I wouldn't be against buying used equipment but I would prefer to do it through a reputable dealer rather than chance eBay. Can anyone recommend good dealers to approach, please?

Any advice will be gratefully received and I have avidly read previous threads on this forum regarding camera choices for the beginner.

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Another newbie question: camera availabilty in the UK

Might I suggest you join us on the UKLFPG forums ? You might even find someone who will let you try out different cameras at one of our local get-togethers.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Thanks, Joanna, I will be pleased to join that forum.

Robert White (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/default.asp) used to do Techiharas' but doesn't anymore

I think the Shen Hao killed off the Tech's buisness in the UK - at least in 5x4

Martin

TBH it really depends on if you care where the camera comes from - you can get cameras sent from the US or any where else.

I had a Deardorff sent from Canada with no problems at all. Of course some sellers are a little leary of dealing with overseas buyers.

Lachlan 717

There's a place in Manchester called something like "The Real Camera Shop" that has a fair amount of film gear.

They've got a rubbish website, though.

I also saw a 2nd hand Wista in Halifax the other day. Looked in very nice condition; 500 quid. Can't tell you the name of the shop, but as far as I know there's only Jessop's and this place in Halifax...

Can anyone let me know if there's a good place for 2nd hand camera gear (any format) in Birmingham?

Lachlan

Thanks very much for your replies. Lachlan, yes I think I know the shop in Halifax you mean; I had a quick look in the window a couple of years ago when I was working over that way. I know folks in Halifax so could ask them the name of the shop. Thanks.

Gavin

ps I'm not anti buying stuff from the 'States or anywhere else but I suppose I would need to factor in higher shipping costs, VAT and import duties. If I can get it in Blighty so much the better!

Lachlan 717

The shop's on the lower corner of an arcade if that's any help!

Have you had a look on APUG? Google it if not...

All the best with the hunting!

Lachlan.

I bought my Shen Hao from Badger Graphics in the US. A good price, great service and delivered to my door in four days from time of ordering and payment. That's 4 days from the US to Australia. Damned good service.
    Mike

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    I bought my Shen Hao from Badger Graphics in the US. A good price, great service and delivered to my door in four days from time of ordering and payment. That's 4 days from the US to Australia. Damned good service.
    Mike
    They have some weird Import Taxes here in the UK though. Unlike in Oz where we get a grand's freedom on Import, I think it's a trivial amount here before you pay 15% VAT.

Not sure if these rules explain why the Oz economy isn't in Recession! Just kidding, but just watch out dollar race ahead when the next interest rate come on Cup Day. Look out US imports!