Thread: Fuji Back question

Question Fuji Back question

Hey Everyone,

Second post here. Thanks for everyone who was helpful on the last.

So, I'm back into 45, rusty as can be. I need to get a polaroid back.

I'm looking at the Fuji PA-45 and PA-145.

1. Pros and Cons?

2. Will FP-100B fit in the PA-145 (I know I won't get the full coverage of the film, but I got 2 boxes of it)?

3. Will both fit in my Toyo 45?

4. Little off topic but has anyone mounted a DSLR next to or on top of their 45 and used it instead of polaroid? If so, who did it work for you? I've always been a fan of having that polaroid in my hand to judge exposure and comp, but price wise, I have to be curious about an alternative.

Thanks for all your help. I may stir up more questions, but if you have answers about polaroid that you think will be helpful, even if it wasn't a direct question, I'd be happy to get all the intel i can.

-Ryan

Glenn Mellen

Re: Fuji Back question

Ryan - Can't help in any way with the film backs, but have used a DSLR quite a bit for light testing, mainly testing for effects of studio lighting and night shoots. Works very well for those situations. I have a polaroid back for my 4x5 (and also for my medium format cameras) but have never used them except for lens testing, preferring the DSLR testing approach to the polaroid film backs for lighting checks.

Glenn

Re: Fuji Back question

Quote Originally Posted by Rhandt View Post
    I'm looking at the Fuji PA-45 and PA-145.

1. Pros and Cons?

2. Will FP-100B fit in the PA-145 (I know I won't get the full coverage of the film, but I got 2 boxes of it)?

3. Will both fit in my Toyo 45?
    The PA-145 is for 3-1/4 x 4-1/4" pack film, such as the old Polaroid 600-series stuff. Advantage is that it is cheaper. Disadvantage is that it doesn't cover the whole 4x5 format. The back will fit under the ground glass if the spring allows a LOT of movement, and it will also lock in using a Graflok (aka International) back. It's based on the Polaroid 405 back.

The PA-45 is for 4x5 pack film, such as the current Fuji FP-100 stuff. Advantage is that is covers the whole format. Disadvantage is that it is more expensive. I find the color stuff to be fairly contrasty with a narrow range, but pretty good overall. The PA-45 has the same mounting possibilities as the 145. My Sinar doesn't have enough spring draw to allow it to easily slip under the ground glass, so I remove the ground glass and use the Graflok mounting. The PA-45 is based on the Polaroid 550 back.

There are no current instant films for the Polaroid 545 sheet-film back. But Fuji Quickloads can be used in that holder.

Film for one will not fit in the other, so your FP-100B needs a PA-45 back.

Both will fit on your Toyo if it has a Graflok back (or a VERY long draw on the spring back). I expect any Toyo has a Graflok capability.

Rick "who uses the 4x5 Fujiroid stuff, but wishes they had an equivalent to Type 55" Denney