Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring 2010 Workshop in France

Spring 2010 Workshop in France

Grandes Images will be running a beginners LF workshop in northern France, early next month.

Whilst we are there, we shall be looking at organising another workshop, for those that might like a some wonderful coastal locations, the possibility of improving your skill set and, of course, the opportunity to share in some great food, drink and company.

The workshop will be located in Brittany and would take place in the spring; I anticipate it would last for three days, allowing those who have travelled from overseas to either stay longer in the area or to travel further whilst they are in the country.

Costs are yet to be determined and will depend on the accomodation we can organise.

Please let me know if you are likely to be interested, so that we can get some idea of the kind of accomodation we need to be considering.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Re: Spring 2010 Workshop in France

I haven't got a passport, what's wrong with Southport or the rest of the U.K. for that matter. I've often wondered if French (or better still Breton, Alan Stivell, Dan ar Braz, fantastic!) is the official language of Southport and nobody has bothered to tell the rest of us. We only do English (all be it with a Brummie accent, round here).
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    I haven't got a passport
    Well then, that puts you in the same boat as a great many of our American cousins.

what's wrong with Southport or the rest of the U.K. for that matter.
    There's nothing wrong with Southport, as long as you like lots and lots of flat sandy beaches; the tide goes out a couple of miles and only comes in occasionally. As for the rest of the U.K., you just can't get good French bread like they do in France

We only do English (all be it with a Brummie accent, round here).
    By "we", am I to assume you are including everyone else who reads this forum? And I know that some would dispute whether Americans do English

In addition to the wonderful friends of the UKLFPG whom I have had the great delight to spend time with, I have found many French friends who are equally passionate about their photography and who also seem to love nothing better than a reasoned discussion over a long meal. I have spent quite some time in France over the previous years and am simply offering an alernative to the usual British, or even American tripod holed location. Of course, if you prefer Southport, I can always let you have the name of a a hotel or two
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Can't come, but if you're looking for locations I've been wanting to make a pilgrimage to Ploumanac'h. There's an interesting article about Eileen Agar's photographs of the rocks here:

http://www.tate.org.uk/research/tate...umn/walker.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Can't come, but if you're looking for locations I've been wanting to make a pilgrimage to Ploumanac'h.
    Ah yes, if it weren't for the fact that most people don't tend to use tripods these days, that is one place you would definitely find tripod holes Although, there are still some pretty dramatic LF shots to be had, provided you can keep the camera still on the tripod; see this shot of Plougrescant (just along the coast), taken in 100kph winds and with at least one wave that broke four feet up the tripod legs!!!

Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

"Nice capture" :-)

In Scotland I have largely given up trying to fight the wind: I usually allow it to shake the camera and see what turns out. I draw the line at breakers though.

You can trace a popular climbing or hiking route over granite by following the pink patches - the naturally weathered rock is less coloured than that worn by pitons and boots. I suspect that at some of the sites on the Britanny coast the flatter rocks will have well-defined triangular patterns of three pink dots :-)

My family comes from Brittany, and I love this part of France. I'd love to participate to your workshop: could you please keep me informed?
    In Penmarc'h, last Summer:
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Just a reminder about this workshop. We are getting things a bit more organised after our visit last month and would value knowing what kind of length of stay would make it worthwhile for any of you wanting to travel from far away ?
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

looking for large format workshops on the east coast of the u.s. summer 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by sepstein17 View Post
    looking for large format workshops on the east coast of the u.s. summer 2010...
    So, you post that to a thread about a workshop in France for the spring of 2010... and the connection is???
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG