Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Grafmatic film holder - All shots out of focus

Re: Help with Grafmatic film holder - All shots out of focus

A Graflex Grafmatic will not even slide into a international/spring back - it is about four millimetres wider. If you jam such a thing into a international back, it will end up askew on the outer rails - more than a centimetre out of focus, but far more importantly with finger-wide leaks, so that you'll end up with completely blackened film.

You are certain this is model 1268? Not 1168?

Just a quick confirmation guys - it's a 1268 model, Grafmatic "45" GRAPHIC, the slimmer version, and NOT the 1168 Grafmatic "45" GRAFLEX. Ref:http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paul.../grafmatic.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    I'll stick my neck out on this one. Look at the butt end of the Grafmatic, on the side that faces the camera. You will see that part of the end is tapered. Check to see if, when you insert the Grafmatic, the taper sits right when the thing is pushed all the way in. I'm betting it raises off the back a little. I have had several cameras that I've had to do some machine work to in order to use the Grafmatic. The seat at the end of the holder slot is probably too high and is not compatible with the tapered end. If so, it can also prevent full insertion, leaving the light trap ridge atop the back and not in it's slot.
    A very hard thing to explain without visual aid. I hope it makes sense.
    Glenn, thanks for sharing.

What you said was not the problem per se, but it lead me to find out what was. It was the end of the Graf getting blocked by part of my standard and not the beveled edge.

With my rear standard in it's factory orientation, the overall length of the Graf does not allow full seating with the Graf in landscape orientation. When I flip the rear to portrait orientation, with nothing above or below the rear of the standard to block the end of the Graf, it seats all the way AND locks in place!

Soooo, I was there sitting in my kitchen chair thinking there Noooooo way I'm going to machine any part of my camera just yet, and it struck me that if I flipped the entire standard around (upside down with the bubble on the underside), there might be complete clearance due to the design of my standard.

VOILA!

FULL seating and locking of the Graf in the back in both landscape and portrait orientation!

I measured the film plane of a sheet of film in a loaded septum and it appears to be about the same as the measurement I took earlier of a Lisco. When the Graf was not seated in all the way, you're absolutely correct; there was more space than the Lisco explaining all the OOF shots.

Now I just hope that I still have infinity focus with my 65mm with the standard this way round as this arrangement results in more space between the film plane and lensboard, but that's another problem, if it is one.

Thanks everyone for sharing and yes, septum was sprung into place properly, and no, I don't have another lf camera.

At least I found out how to seat the Graf fully in the back.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Christopher View Post
    ...and no, I don't have another lf camera.
    I think it's pretty obvious that you need to rectify this situation as quickly as possible. You know, for testing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that you need to rectify this situation as quickly as possible. You know, for testing purposes.
    Words of wisdom well said ...

I've taken bits of my camera and put them in a spare pot. Should be able to see something sprouting in a week or two.

Ah! Good! I seem to remember something about having to reverse the standard on some cameras but I never ran into that situation. My stuff is all too old. I'm glad you got it fixed. You're going to love it.

Not dealing with your original question, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Christopher View Post
    During shooting, I made sure to keep one finger on the back and I cycled the carriage and worked the darkslide to ensure that the back did not move or slide out. The whole Grafmatic is capable of sliding out (during cariage or darkslide cycling) if I don't use a finger to hold it in place, but once in, it seems fairly secure in that it doesn't rattle or anything like that.
    If you have a Graflok back, you may not need to use your finger to hold the Grafmatic in place while cycling the septums. There is a groove in the side of the Grafmatic. The Grafloks on all of my 4x5s slide into this groove to fasten the Grafmatic down.

When I am using my Grafmatics I make this part of my procedure because I have been a little too vigorous in cycling the septums.
    al

Does anyone have a Grafmatic, 45, that fits in the back and locks down with the international slides of a Shen Hao 4x5?