Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson v750 + Software package

Re: Epson v750 + Software package

Vuescan is all I use.

https://www.hamrick.com/

Works very well, free trial, see what you think.

Vuescan is good too, I'd recommend that over Epson Scan myself.

Andrew Moxom

I use Silverfast on my M750 for film, and Vuescan for print scans.... Both are top notch for what I use them for.

thanks, yesterday I tried the vuescan trial. It worked fine with slidefilm but was not good with negative film (portra nc and fuji 160s). Even thought I set the film types, the colors were totaly wrong.

If you save the file as a TIFF, then there is likely no compression, so it's fairly easy to figure it out. But it can vary over so wide a range with so many inputs that it makes no sense to try an publish the resulting file size.

(Which reminds me of one of my favorite rants: Why is it that some magazines determine file adequacy on the basis of size? That makes no sense at all, and generally just causes more confusion than clarity.)

For grayscale, each pixel will contain 16 bits or two bytes. So, multiply the total horizontal pixels by the total vertical pixels, and then multiply that product by two. If you scane a 6x6 (2.2" x 2.2") at 2400 samples/inch, then you'll have (2.2 times 2400 =) 5280 pixels in each direction. 5280 times 5280 is 27.9 million pixels in the resulting file. At two bytes per pixel, the file will be about 56 megabytes.

For color, if you choose to save the file using 48-bit color (16 bits each for red, green, and blue), then those 27.9 million pixels will each require 6 bytes. That will create a file of about 167 megabytes.

Files save in compressed modes will take up quite a bit less, depending on the complexity of the image and the degree of compression. No way to answer that one.

If you scan at higher resolution, the files will be bigger, and will get bigger in a hurry.

Rick "Photoshop will make the files bigger" Denney

Re: Epson v750 Software package

Quote Originally Posted by JegO-k View Post
    Olympus Master Software

I just bought an Olympus 5500 and have tried installing the Olympus Master. It does not give me a country to choose from. Can anyone help?
    I think you've stumbled into the wrong forum, this forum is for Large Format Photography--cameras that shoot film that by square inch is bigger than your Olympus 5500 camera!

A forum targeted towards digital cameras would be a better place to ask, such as dpreview.com