Thread: Gitzo GT3541L 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod experience

Gitzo GT3541L 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod experience

Has anyone used a Gitzo GT3541L 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod with a lightweight 8x10" ?
    If so please tell about your experience.

Re: Gitzo GT3541L 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod experience

I have the gt3541ls "systematic" with a g1570m magnesium low profile 3 way head. I am very pleased with it. I mainly bought it for it's compact folded size (it's 4 section) and it fits nicely in a small suitcase for travel. I use it for my 8x10 deardorff and find it to be very stable yet lightweight. I also like the quick lock(1/4 turn) knobs - it's very fast setting the leg length.
    Tim

Gudmundur,

I have a Gitzo GT3541XLS and I like it very much. Maybe you should tell us what you have in mind - format, lens lengths, etc.

I like mine with 4x5 and very light 8x10. I use it with a Gitzo 1370M head (you should know about the head in use with the tripod)

Cheers, Steve

I think I will be using it with the 1570M head and with a Phillips 8x10" and a Linhof Technika 5x7" they are both weighing far less than the 18 kg maximum that the tripod takes, and with lenses from 120 to 450 mm.

I suspect you will be very happy with that combination.
    Tim

Drew Wiley

The weight rating of the tripod is meaningless. What counts is how vibration is stabilized, and how well the camera rests on the platform of the whole assembly. In other words, there is simply no substitute for setting up the whole system and testing it prior to purchase. I have the Phillips 8x10 and use it with a wooden Ries. Being a lightweight camera, I actually need mass below it to keep it well stabilized, especially in windy conditions. However, I also own a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod when minimum overall weight is a primary concern, but only use it for 4x5. (I don't use a tripod head at all.)

I have the 3540LS and I'm happy with it. PhotoClam Multiflex head, Canham MQC57, and a Fujinon 600mm telephoto worked well in windy conditions.
    Jeff Keller

Has anyone had problems with the GT3541L?

I am also considering it for use with my Linhof 2000 4x5 with a max lens of 300mm and an older, light colored Linhof Profi III ballhead. I've been using my old circa 1999 Bogen 3021 with that head and have found it mostly satisfactory. But it's wearing out and it's time to replace it. I've been looking at the Gitzo because of the weight capacity, height and the advantages of the column and leg locks. I've been concerned about the price and weight. I already carry 35 lbs. of camera gear plus minimalist camping gear, sometimes reaching 55 lbs. Now that we can't get Readyloads I'm frustrated with having to add back the weight & bulk of film holders.

I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with 3 section legs, I don't know, which model. I use it with 8x10 and WP cameras. Versus a two section Ries, three sections often come in handy for resting one or two legs on something higher than the other ones, such as on a rock or window sill, when you want to position the camera precisely. It's just easier than with a two section leg.
    I like the weight, but often struggle with the leg locks. Often they are so tight, I have trouble to unlock them, or they are so loose, that the midsection turns as I try to unlock the lower section. I suppose it's a love-hate relationship, that I have always had with Gitzo.
    For anything heavier than 4x5 field camera, I use the Linhof 3 way leveling head, which may be a bit on the heavy side for field work, but it locks rock solid, and you can adjust one direction at a time. You don't risk messing up one adjustment while doing the other, as with a ball head. It is pricey, but Greiner Photo in Germany has some surplus (?) at a much better price.