Thread: I'm back in action!

I'm back in action!

The forum records showed that my last visit here was in 2004, so it's been quite a while! I'm breaking back out the Cambo 4x5 and I'm gonna pick up an old Argyle 12x18 process camera for $40 to slowly convert into something I can use... maybe an 11x14? Yes, I know that ULF will be a new learning curve from the 4x5, but I'm up to the task. I'm back in LF action!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: I'm back in action!

No, the term isn't "back in action," it's "done with ultra-long exposure pinhole photography experiments." (Kind of like measuring tar drips.)

Hello Jason,

Whatever you call it . . .Welcome Back!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I would adapt an aerial 240mm roll film back, or build one for that process camera, for 9.5" x 18" format images on aerial film. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I would adapt an aerial 240mm roll film back, or build one for that process camera, for 9.5" x 18" format images on aerial film. Welcome back!
    That sounds like a fun idea, too! I'm not sure exactly WHAT will come of the process camera yet. I pick it up tomorrow morning. I'll assess its future when I get the beast back home.

I plan to try some portraits, maybe around headshot level? I want to do something that can leave the giant thing in the studio with minimal alterations. Knowing it is set up for close-up repro, I figured tight, head and shoulders shots would be good. Am I close on a starting point for it? Eventually, I could see hauling it outside for some mammoth landscapes, but I know it won't easily focus at infinity without more time and effort being put into it... not to mention the fact that it would be a chore to haul around, if I did configure it for landscapes.

Either way, it will be a challenging project, and a giant departure from my regular paid gigs shooting for magazines and newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    No, the term isn't "back in action," it's "done with ultra-long exposure pinhole photography experiments." (Kind of like measuring tar drips.)

Yeah, I miss doing the old pinhole stuff, too. I had fun building 4x5 pinhole cameras that became sharp enough to look like cheap glass lenses. The 5-15 minute exposures and the funny looks from passersby.

OK, I picked it up today! You can see it here:

http://janikphotography.blogspot.com...otography.html

I was thinking about ditching the vacuum back and building something that held 11x14 holders. Is this a stupid idea? I've heard that backs this big can be difficult, because the spring tension is so strong. However, I'm seeing the value of film holders vs building a giant tent next to the vacuum back. Thoughts? Pointers to a good discussion already existing on this topic?