Made a special trip to the Getty in L.A. over thanksgiving to view the Alverez B ravo display. There were three large rooms set up with many great photos. One small room with three of E.W.'s and Tina Modotti's to view for comparisons. It is one of the Modotti pictures that is glued into my psyche.

The rooms were cavelike with very dim light and it made the photos hard to enjoy . I was looking at the scans in the bookshop later and seeing details I didn't see in person. Just backwards of what you would expect.

My big complaint about the Getty is their "tripod" rule. Absolutely none ever.

That's a necessary and understandable evil. I sent them an Email asking for cons ideration of folks who like to look at the world upside down. Why not open the OUTDOOR areas up 3 or 4 times a year in the AM before the gates open and let a f ew folks enjoy doing large format architectural shooting.

I got the big cold shoulder. No reply.

As someone who has done their part in adding to Mr Getty's wealth if not the dem ise of the planet driving around in lumbering carbureted V8 dinosaurs, I expecte d a reply, even if it was Buzz Off.

If anyone else feels like the Getty should be useable to large format folks, ple ase let them know.