Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fujinon A 240mm F9

Lachlan 717

Re: Fujinon A 240mm F9

I took some Panos of some Ginko trees in Autumn with this and a Super Angulon 90mm f5.6 on Velvia.

The Fuji killed the Schneider in saturation and sharpness.

It is my favourite lens; I just haven't used it enough. It is my "never, ever get rid of" lens.

A bit like Nike, "Just Get It"!!

Lachlan.

Excellent stuff ! Great image Ken, and thanks for posting - amazing detail ! Thank you everyone!

I don't have images handy, but it is a stellar lens. Small and very sharp. Tough to go wrong. It is my favorite lens.

I must be the black sheep of the LF flock. I have one of these lenses and I don't particularly care for it. I don't have any shots with that lens that I'm happy with.

I'm not sure why I dislike it. The lens is certainly sharp and contrasty enough. Color rendition seems fine. I don't know, maybe the 240mm focal length doesn't agree with me.

When I wanted to try a lens in that focal length, I choose the Fuji A 240 because everyone here raved about it. Since then I have added 210mm and 300mm lenses. Now the Fuji 240 sits on the shelf.

Cheers,
    Mark

Drew Wiley

Greg - the Fuji A and C lenses are excellent for color. The 240A has rather high contrast, so you have to be careful with films like Velvia unless you are working with
    a diffused light scene. With 8x10 you get a little illumination falloff with the 240, the
    usual wide-angle effect; not as bad as official wide-angle lenses - no need for a center
    filter, but you still have to be aware of it with high contrast films. I routinely use these
    lenses for everything: black-and-white, color trans of all types, as well as color negs.
    How to properly scan different types of film is an entirely different topic.

Mark,

I sold mine too, because I felt it was too flare prone pointed into the light, which spoiled several shots. These were not shots that a lens hood would have helped - for the record.

Cheers, Steve

Drew Wiley

Mark - everyone sees things a little differently. I cut my teeth on a 210 lens for 4x5
    but eventually found myself handling a 240 or 250 as my own instinctive version of
    "normal" perspective. The 210/300 combination is a very logical one, as is the 240/360
    which I personally prefer. For 8x10 I normally carry 240/360/450/ and sometimes 600.
    In this case, the extra coverage of the 240 compared to 210 is rather important.

Drew Wiley

Steve - the only time I've personally had flare issues with "A" lenses is with very bright
    open skies using the 360A on 4x5 without a compendium shade. The image circle for
    the lens is truly huge. With 240 and 180 "A" lenses never a problem. The multi-coating
    is superb, and I don't know how you'd improve upon this with going to fewer air-glass
    interfaces, i.e., a multicoated tessar like Nikkor M or one of the rare multicoated late
    dagors. The "A" lenses have actually performed much better for flare than any of my
    medium-format lenses. Maybe you could elaborate. You must like really into-the-sun
    shots! (Upward reflections from bright snow can also be tricky)