Thread: Drobo as main HDDs?

Drobo as main HDDs?

This might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find any info.

Let's say, I want to use a Drobo as my main storage and backup solution for all my files. What happens when I need to replace one of the HDDs because it is full - and later on want to get access to those files? My understanding is that Drobo will erase all your files once you install the drive in the bay - so obviously Drobo cannot be used for reading files on an external disk?! Do I need a seperate external enclosure to read the files on a full disk? The more I reflect on this Drobo solution, the more I get confused
    Juergen

Re: Drobo as main HDDs?

Dear Juergen

If you remove a hard drive from your Drobo, you can read it with one of these at a later date: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1346&ID=1731

I use this device to review hard drives that I put into dry dock...

jim k

Geos

I use a Drobo. Why would you care about the specific files on the old drive? Drobo will automatically copy those files to the other drives, including the new larger one you are replacing the old one with. In other words, all your files will still be on Drobo.

But what happens when Drobo runs out of capacity - eg. you have installed the largest HDs already and they are all full? What happens next? That's where my confusion comes in. Do you have to buy another Drobo and start with fresh disks and keep the old Drobo with its full disks? In a non-Drobo system, I can just swap the full HD for a new one and keep the old HD should I ever need to access those files again - this seems to be impossible with a Drobo because only Drobo can read the files.

Jim, unfortunately the device you pointed out (or any other than Drobo) will not work at all. Drobo files cannot be read unless they are in a Drobo system - that's my biggest concern with it!
    Juergen

Run away!

Do not use any proprietary product to archive your work.
    Take the responsibility to maintain and be prepared to migrate your work to current media as needed.

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find any info.

Let's say, I want to use a Drobo as my main storage and backup solution for all my files. What happens when I need to replace one of the HDDs because it is full - and later on want to get access to those files? My understanding is that Drobo will erase all your files once you install the drive in the bay - so obviously Drobo cannot be used for reading files on an external disk?! Do I need a seperate external enclosure to read the files on a full disk? The more I reflect on this Drobo solution, the more I get confused
    The Drobo is a back up solution, not for main storage of working data. The drobo writes files in a proprietary fashion over multiple drives like raid 5. You will need a separate external bay for working files and reading archived drives.

If you are working on a Mac, I would suggest a visit to MacGurus.com, they have outlined some great simple concepts for working, backing up, and archiving files for photographers. Peter Krogh's DAM book is also a great resource for crafting a plan for your workflow.

That's unfortunate...

Using a proprietary storage solution in a black box may be difficult, then again, a larger hard drive that replaces a smaller hard drive in the Drobo may work, by simply increasing your storage space...

The Drobo always sidelines one of the hard drives to store back up information, so it can transfer the data from the full drive to the new drive, does it not?

jim k

Thumbs up Re: Drobo as main HDDs?

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Juergen

If you remove a hard drive from your Drobo, you can read it with one of these at a later date: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1346&ID=1731

I use this device to review hard drives that I put into dry dock...

jim k
    Thanks for the link, Jim. I didn't know such a device existed.

Hello all,

I work in Product Marketing for Data Robotics and came across this thread. Hopefully I can help answer a few of the questions.

What happens when a system is full?

It is possible to remove a "disk pack" from a Drobo for backup or archiving purposes. This "disk pack" can be anywhere from 2-4 drives in a Drobo or 2-8 drives in a DroboPro. The key is you remove all the drives at once and simply label them intuitively. The great thing about removing a Drobo disk pack as opposed to using external drives is that the disk pack can sustain a drive failure during storage and you will still be able to recover all of your data. We have many home user and SOHO customers that use the Drobo in this fashion.

Should Drobo only be used as a backup solution?

It is true that Drobos are great for backup, but we actually see more customers use them for primary file storage than backup.

In the case of the home user, it makes a fantastic storage repository for a media server (I am doing this at home and use a Mac Mini for my media server). For backing it up, I actually chose to use a "cloud" provider over swapping disk packs. I am using CrashPlan, but there are dozens out there including Mozy and Carbonite just to name a few.

in the case of the business user, we see just as many customers use the products for file sharing as we do for backup.

Regards,

Jim Sherhart
    Data Robotics

Wow, kudos to Jim Sherhart for the personal touch!

Personally, I think the Drobo is a really cool product for safe primary storage. For long-term storage I've always preferred off-the-shelf external drives. They're so cheap that you can simply fill them up and stack them on the shelf like tapes. For redundancy, make an extra copy and keep it at a friend's house.