Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Wista' copal shutter for fujinon lens

Re: 'Wista' copal shutter for fujinon lens

Many thanks to all of you. I think I do have a problem with this shutter. When I move the aperture ring with the shutter open, nothing happens, so the experiment you suggest, Dan, doesn't work. It does work with the shutter closed. A bit bizarre but at least I know how it is supposed to work now.

Thanks again for your information and advice.

Jenny

Jenny,

I have a 125mm Fuji mounted in a Copal # 1 Press shutter marked as a Wista shutter. It behaves exactly as you describe--which is how I expected it to behave. Your shutter isn't broken--the problem is only in its appeal to your way of working.
    I find that for how I shoot, being able to open and view at full aperture and then shoot at the taking aperture without changing the aperture setting to be a time saver in the field. I don't use ND grads, though.

-m

Jenny

Check out these pages from SK Grimes:

http://www.skgrimes.com/press/index.htm

http://www.skgrimes.com/press/pbig/opress.gif

If you have two cable release sockets your shutter should operate like a standard Copal Press shutter.

The press focus (preview) lever/socket opens the shutter to full aperture.
    The shutter release lever/socket fires the shutter when it is closed.

To view at the actual taking aperture, set the shutter to B and use a locking cable release. Then close the shutter and set it to the taking speed.

One caution - the sockets on press shutters are relatively flimsy. I like to save time by leaving a cable release attached to each lens, but I ripped out the sockets of several press shutters before learning my lesson. A flexible cable extension will relieve most of the stress on the socket. Its much easier to connect your cable to this in the cold and dark. You can leave the whole thing attached (one less thing to do) or just the extension. More permanent adaptations are possible.

The slight difference in routine is a simple adjustment. Practice so you don't fumble when it counts. Press shutters are great for multiple exposures and multiple strobe pops. You can fire as many time as needed without jarring the camera. You can play around with time. You can build up exposure on the film while dodging pedestrians, car headlights etc. That 1/4 second could be a bunch of fifteenths, if it serves your purpose.

Have some fun.

Peter

Joel Edmondson

Didn't the Wista VX, SP and Rangefinder 4x5's have a threaded fitting for a cable release in the camera back - which coupled to the Wista Shutter and closed the aperture down upon insertion of a film-holder in the camera back? It seems as if I recall something to that effect from the Wista Manuals ( which are really tough to "translate").

Maybe it's my oldtimers disease kicking in ... again!

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    Didn't the Wista VX, SP and Rangefinder 4x5's have a threaded fitting for a cable release in the camera back - which coupled to the Wista Shutter and closed the aperture down upon insertion of a film-holder in the camera back? It seems as if I recall something to that effect from the Wista Manuals ( which are really tough to "translate").

Maybe it's my oldtimers disease kicking in ... again!

Joel
    Yes they DO.

Many thanks again to everyone. I didn't realise that this shutter was not designed to view at the actual taking aperture without setting the shutter to B and using a locking cable release. After all your comments, I now don't think the shutter is broken but requires a different way of working, and I can see the advantage for speed in some situations and for multiple exposures. This forum is a great source of information!

Many thanks again,

Jenny