Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 film dryers?

Re: 4x5 film dryers?

I lean them on top of the towel rack in the bathroom - the towel wicks up excess moisture from the bottom of the film sheet. No dust problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Rather than a fan, which might seem a little too aggressive,
    you might try installing a light bulb in the bottom-
    The heat will generate convection currents which will help speed up the drying-
    The air inlet at the bottom will still need to be filtered.

I've had plans to make one myself, haven't got around to it yet...
    hitch hiking on this idea, several years ago I got a "boot dryer" for Chirstmas just like this one

http://www.buy.com/prod/dryguy-maxxd...209722913.html

It has a simple heating element that makes the hot air rise up the tubes yet does not get so hot that is would start a fire or melt the boots. It is also fanless and quiet. If you take off the end of the tubes that would go into a boot they are just standard PVC tubes and could easily be modified and adapted to fit just about anything.

Ted Mastrandonas

It has a simple heating element that makes the hot air rise up the tubes...would start a fire or melt the boots. It is also fanless and quiet. Heh...

I process in a Jobo tank, and after a quick Photoflo bath, I put them in metal sheet film hangers, and hang them in a converted metal locker. They are hung at 45˚ and allowed to drip dry, usually ready within 6 hours or overnight.

Coat hangers and wooden clothes pins hanging on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom. Film dries in about 1 - 2 hours.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I use a women's wardrobe for dresses that I purchased at WalMart for $6. It will hold 5 or 6 rolls of 120 and 6 or 7 sheets of 4x5. For 35mm and 220, I hang from the ceiling heater's protective wire screen in the bathroom and close the door - no problem from dust.

About a year ago I purchased an Arkay film dryer locally in good condition from a Ebay auction for $70. With the dryer I can process all the sheet film I want and have adequate dust free space to hang to dry. I dont use the heater on the dryer preferring to let the film dry naturally using film clips (Arkay?) that I get from B&H for ~$1 each. It takes film about 2 hours to dry in my setup, but I leave the film undisturbed for 4 hours before I handle it.
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 7-Oct-2009 at 10:56. Reason: spelling

I use a plastic-coated metal wire strung across the tub with number 0 or 1 bulldog clips I buy from the stationery store. Works great

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I use a Jobo Mistral dryer with the sheet film cabinet - dead easy. I used to use a coat hanger with a bunch of plastic clothes pegs - run the shower hot for a minute or two - cleans the air and builds up the humidity (less static) then stuck the coat hanger behind the shower rose - never had a single issue...

Don,
    could you send me a pic or two of the sheet film cabinet? I have a roll film version of the Mistral II that I need to use for both and am looking for ideas.

erie