Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Doesn't Somebody Make a Better Front End for a Graphic?

Re: Why Doesn't Somebody Make a Better Front End for a Graphic?

I use a Crown for all my 4x5 stuff and I like Franks idea. My biggest complaint about the Crown is that when using lenses in the 90mm to 150mm range, the drop bed hinges are in the way of the front tilt knobs...at least for my big fingers.

Pacemaker Speeds and Crowns have lots of front tilt. You just gotta know how to use what your camera has to offer.

Downward tilt: Drop the bed and the standard will be pointing way down. Loosen the nuts and raise the front, then tilt it back to where you want it. Easy.

Backward tilt: Just loosen the nuts and tilt it back. No need to drop the bed on this one. Even easier.

The trick with tilting down is to make sure the standard is at a point on the rails where you can do this without damaging the rail hinges when focusing. All tilts only work in landscape orientation, though.
    Anything requiring more than this, I'm not usually interested anyway. I have view cameras for such things if I can't resist.

Well, I adore my Crown.

However, tilt is *not* practical in general. The lenses that I would like to use tilt on are my 75mm and 90mm. Unfortunately, these very lenses remain on the inner rail (or bridge the rails) so that it is not possible to drop the standard on the bed.

So the Crown remains a great travel camera, with a surprisingly accurate rangefinder (useful in bright sunlight). I carry a Rodenstock 75mm that closes in the camera, and 127mm and 203mm Ektars with the appropriate cams.

This equipment more than exceeds my photographic abilities.

-Mick

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    Hmmmmm.. I s'pose that could be done. The Kalart rangefinders were an accessory from the beginning (Although a Crown/Speed without a rangefinder is pretty rare.) Drill a hole through the side of the camera and mount the rangefinder on the side. The arm from the rangefinder could be fastened to the bed rail somehow and a Speed Graphic viewfinder could be used.

Seems like a lot of effort. As I said earlier, the B&J Press has a revolving back, substantial front movements, a rangefinder and are available. I think there are three of them on daBay right now.

I was thinking of an uncoupled rangefinder, something like the Fotoman rangefinder. Adding a Kalart rangefinder would be very interesting though...much more so if one could find a new Kalart and have it installed by a pro who could make it look good.

Actually...I like that idea alot! I wonder why Toyo didn't do that?

at least you own the best camera graflex ever made (the crown). the super may have a wider range of movements but their locks suck and the front standard is so flimsy it flaps in any kind of breeze. of course, so did the wisner i used to own.

How much front rise does the Super have? I thought that it was the same as other graphics.

View Camera magazine published two articles in maybe, 2005, on modifying the front standard for front swing and tilt. A friend of mine did it pretty easily with home-shop tools and a few minuts.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I thought that was what the Linhof Technika was for?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    For myself, I find the Crown Graphic to be about the best camera I own. It is rugged, compact, relatively light weight and sets up instantly. It makes great big negatives from which anybody with even modest darkroom skills can coax good results. It just gets the job done. If I'm gonna mount the camera on legs, I'll use a different camera. The crown/speeds are first and foremost hand held cameras....movements? we don't need no stinking movements!
    Brad,

Ya haven't gotten that V8 out in the field yet. While I love my Speed, the first time under the hood of a Deardorff, you'll understand the Graphics are just not in the same league.

I am generally happy with the movements my Pacemaker gives me, I don't try to do too much with it (like acute angle building photography).

tim in san jose

Quote Originally Posted by tim o'brien View Post
    Brad,

Ya haven't gotten that V8 out in the field yet. While I love my Speed, the first time under the hood of a Deardorff, you'll understand the Graphics are just not in the same league.

I am generally happy with the movements my Pacemaker gives me, I don't try to do too much with it (like acute angle building photography).

tim in san jose
    Sadly, no. I haven't done much with the Deardorff...other than discover that I really do need to do something about the bellows.

We're trying to move out of the I&T phase at work...been crazy busy. Too many insects (bugs!) to let it pass to V&V....<sigh>