Thread: Jerry Uelsmann & Maggie Taylor

Jerry Uelsmann & Maggie Taylor

Last night, I had the opportunity to hear a talk by the great, husband & wife artists, Jerry Uelsmann and Maggie Taylor. They were very entertaining, funny, intelligent and inspirational. They spoke about their unique style of art, their work, their creative process and nuggets of wisdom to help other artists. They were entertaining in their gentle banter with each other and Jerry seemed to get a great thrill from the PowerPoint transitions. I had the opportunity to visit with Maggie afterwards and we chatted for awhile about her work and PhotoShop.

All in all, it was a great evening and I truly enjoyed it.

Jim Ewins

Re: Jerry Uelsmann & Maggie Taylor

I've always admired his work although I'm not acquainted with her's. For both creativity and technique, he beats Ansel & company by miles.

Florida Keys

In the mid 80's here in South Florida (he taught at UOF for many years), I had the chance to buy several of his original 8x10's for around 40 bucks. Of course I was broke and passed on it. They were signed and legit. He was highly regarded down here and still is.

In 1981, a report by American Photographer ranked Uelsmann as being amongst the top ten photographers collected in America.[5] His smaller works presently sell for between $1000 and $2500 at auction.[6]

Glad to hear Jerry is well!
    I've been a follower since 1976, thats why I built my darkroom with 10 enlargers.
    When, the Yosemite book came out, I went to his reception in Carmel.
    I stayed for his workshop, he showed us how to do the cube, the sphere, the symmetrical tree, and anything he was asked!
    I think he's the greatest darkroom wizard ever!
    No secrets, no ego, he even gave us his address & phone number!
    What a guy!

David Silva
    Modesto Ca

great guy. we were at UF at the same time. always interesting and amusing to talk with. i was just looking at some of his prints today at a gallery in new orleans. hope he is doing well

I spoke with Jerry when he sent me one of his LPL light sources for replacement of the connection cable to the new style connector for new style LPL power supplies. Since he has always been one of my favorite darkroom wizards it was really cool to talk with a "hero". Not lightly stated as I first saw his work in my photo text books for college courses back in 1983

Then once he sent me the lamp house he also sent me a cool signed letter and calendar of his and Maggie's work. I put them with my other Photographer collectables

Elliot Porter
    Arnold Newman
    George Tice
    Michael A Smith
    Stephen Anchell

And a Few More!

Quote Originally Posted by z_photo View Post
    great guy. we were at UF at the same time. always interesting and amusing to talk with. i was just looking at some of his prints today at a gallery in new orleans. hope he is doing well