Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Century Universal 8x10

Re: Restoring a Century Universal 8x10

Mike, your efforts definitely have created a "working" work of art. Having this same camera, i love its versatility and lightness compared to my V8. However, mine is not the sturdiest view camera. Is yours sturdy when extended? If not, what thoughts/suggestions do you have to firm it up for field work? Thanks. Jon

Hi Jon,
    I can't comment based on using it in the field yet, but just from handling it and moving it around when fully extended, I was struck by the fact the weight of the camera is mainly in the base (which I think is mainly cherry, instead of the mahogany of all the rest of the wood), and the front standard. The front standard has an awful lot of brass attached to it--mainly the sliding plates underneath that allow L-R shift and swing.

So I was careful to pick it up with both hands under the base, and never with one hand under the front standard for fear of stressing the extension rails too much.

It's a much, much different camera from the 2D 8x10, which has been my primary camera for the past 3-4 years.

For stabilizing in the field, I would consider adding a 1/4-20 tripod/monopod socket underneath the front of the third extension if stability at max extension seems to be a problem. With a monopod under the front of the camera, I think it would be as stable as it could possibly be.

For myself, I think it will be fine as is. I've got an Ikeda Anba 4x5, which is also not the sturdiest camera, but I'm fine with it.

looks great. i just now realized you needed those spring pins for this restoration.

whos is making your bellows? i may get new ones for my camera as well. i usually use turner bellows becasue they make them fast and affordable but sometimes they do not squeeze down thin enough to fit into the closed box.

nice work! when can i send you mine to start working on? LOL

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Hi eddie,
    I went with Custom Bellows this time just for that reason. I had Turner Bellows make a new bellows for an 11x14 Empire State I restored a few years ago, and they were great to work with. I dealt with Joe Merrie, there, and can't say enough good things about that experience.

Let me finish mine first; I'm sure I'll do a much better job on yours with all I've learned from doing this one. (I think I spent over an hour yesterday trying to get the front rise/fall assembly back into place before I realized the problem was that I had the mounting plate reversed!)

I sent the old bellows off to CB on Oct. 2nd; it arrived Friday, the 9th. I'm expecting to hear back from Keith any day now that the new bellows is ready. Since I'm still working on reassembling, the timing should work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    Mike, your efforts definitely have created a "working" work of art. Having this same camera, i love its versatility and lightness compared to my V8. However, mine is not the sturdiest view camera. Is yours sturdy when extended? If not, what thoughts/suggestions do you have to firm it up for field work? Thanks. Jon
    Jon, I had another thought about the stability issue. I've also recently switched from primarily using a Berlebach Report tripod to an older Crown #4. The Crown #4 is 1lb lighter, will hold a min of 18 pounds, and has a 6 inch diameter platform. The Berlebach I have has the ball head and only a 1 and 3/4 inch platform. It seems no matter how much I tightened the tripod to camera screw with a view camera at full extension (30 inches), there is inevitable wobble front to back on the smaller tripod head. (This is with the 2D which is very sturdy, and with an 11x14 with 36 inch long, 3/4-in square tubing aluminum rails that don't bend at all.) The Crown cost under $75 (I think I paid $46 plus shipping), and I really like it. Takes a little getting used to not having leg locks (sometimes I go back to the Berlebach for this reason--made a photograph this fall where I was up on a talus slope and had to put the tripod legs on top of three different boulders, each about 3-4 feet in diameter, with camera suspended about six feet above the rocks; I used the Berlebach for this one). I also have a vintage wood and brass tilting platform I can add to the Crown when I need to. About the same time I also found an older Ries with a massive 8 inch Photoplane tilt head. This sucker is heavy-9+ pounds for the tripod and 4lb for the head, but put an 8x10 view camera on top and it's as solid as can be.

So, some other options....

I also like that the CU extensions are steel and brass-reinforced wood. I think the steel may give more support than appears from the weight differential between the base and front standards.

One more thought--you might try tightening all the screws holding the steel and brass reinforcements and see if that tightens things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    There has been some previous discussion on this issue, Jon. The CU is a wonderful camera for its lightness and versatility, but in some circumstances (breeze! long lenses!) some additional rigidity/stabilisation would be a help. Some types of wind stabiliser kit have been discussed previously - there may even still be one commercially available, or a variant could be built from the basic idea, I guess

You might get some useful ideas from this page:

http://slalom.20megsfree.com/catalog.html

It seems like a rather bulky device, but it seemed to work well from what that particular Century Universal owner had found from using his camera. I'm thinking of making a simplified version of the brace for use with my CU.
    Last edited by Rodney Polden; 16-Nov-2009 at 13:48. Reason: tyyypo

A little more progress today--reassembled the spring back (before/after), and started adding hardware to the back frame.

Still looking for one brass gg clip--missing one on left side of gg. If you have a spare, please let me know. Thanks!

I'm starting to think you've been pulling our legs! You're really showing us pictures of two different cameras, aren't you? Nice work...

lol--thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Polden View Post
    There has been some previous discussion on this issue, Jon. The CU is a wonderful camera for its lightness and versatility, but in some circumstances (breeze! long lenses!) some additional rigidity/stabilisation would be a help. Some types of wind stabiliser kit have been discussed previously - there may even still be one commercially available, or a variant could be built from the basic idea, I guess

You might get some useful ideas from this page:

http://slalom.20megsfree.com/catalog.html

It seems like a rather bulky device, but it seemed to work well from what that particular Century Universal owner had found from using his camera. I'm thinking of making a simplified version of the brace for use with my CU.
    Rodney, that is a sweet brace setup. Gives me something to ponder.....

Jon