Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many formats?

How many formats?

Have an upcoming trip to Yosemite area and can't decide on which formats to take. That said how many formats do you travel with? Assume your not flying.

Octogenarian

Re: How many formats?

On a recent trip from Dallas to Santa Fe by car, I took both a 5X7 outfit and a 645 outfit.

i found that when photographing in an area that is crowded with people it is not practical to use a large format camera on a tripod.

Used the 645 hand held most of the time.

If you plan on hiking into the Yosemite wilderness, by all means take a light weight 4X5 or 5X7 outfit.

In either case, strap a digicam around your neck and enjoy the scenery.

last time i traveled to thailand for a 4 month walk about i took my 35mm, rb67, and 4x5 pinhole camera.

last time i traveled to utah i took my 8x10 and 4x5 chamonix, rb 67 and 35mm camera.

i flew to both locations. in utah i rented a car. in Thailand i traveled by bus and motor bike. (obviously the motor bike was from a "home base"
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by shadow images View Post
    Have an upcoming trip to Yosemite area and can't decide on which formats to take. That said how many formats do you travel with? Assume your not flying.
    Flying, not flying. Exactly one. My only format is 5x4.

Bruce Watson

On my last trip to Yosemite, by car, I just took the 4x5, and was mostly happy. There are some hikes that I would not have wanted to do with the full 4x5 backpack, so I skipped them. The next time I go, I will probably also take the Fuji GA645zi, as that camera gives me the most film area for the least weight. A lighter 2 camera setup is the Fuji and Leica rangefinder + 5 lenses in a Domke F6 bag, but that's more of a flying setup than driving. My recent trip to Italy was with the GA645zi and a cheap little digital P&S and that was a great combo too.

I'd recommend something that you don't mind lugging about and/or using close to the car, plus something much lighter.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

When I travel, if I'm going to be shooting landscape I take only the Toho 4x5. If I will be mostly in cities and not doing much landscape then I take only the Mamiya 7.

I like to travel as light as possible.

Mamiya 7ii and a pair of Leica M6's and crap loads of film :-)

Then I'd return with the 8x10 with the 8x10 back and a 5x7 reducing back ...

It depends on your traveling companions, their expectations, plus where you are staying, what kind of transportation you will have, etc. And your physical condition.

Its just me and my wife. She's used to the routine ,so no worries there. We are staying most of the time at the tenya lodge in fish camp. I am thinking 8x10 for those close opportunities, 4x5 for light packing, and the D2x setup for longer hikes and animal sightings. Leaving behind the 645 setup. We travel on long expeditions in our Scion XB, you'd be surprised by where I will take one.

By car my wife and I travel with two 4x5s a Mamiya 330, (I have only one lens for it at this time), and somtimes a Galvin 6x9 view camera.
    Sid