Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Final check before making the leap

Re: Final check before making the leap

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    You don't mention budget.

I'd lean towards the Shen 5x7 camera and the matching 6x17 back.

Why?

Better camera. Cheaper back. So the total cost isn't much higher. If you later want to shoot 4x5 it'll take a 4x5 reducing back and still not be much bigger or heavier then the 4x5. It'll go wider with the 6x17 back mounted. Or longer for that matter.
    Budget is not that important, but that said, I don't see any reason to buy an Ebony. I'd rather blow the bigger bucks on glass.

Re: you're 5x7 comment... Interesting idea! And it would take away one aspect of learning large format for the beginning phase, which is the hassle of sheet film. What (single to start) lens would work good with a setup like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    John,

Since you are in NYC why not go over to FotoCare, Ltd and rent a camera or two to see how you like it?
    Rental is a possibility, but it is likely I'd want to try it for an extended period of time, at which the rental ends up increasing the cost of ownership significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by rugenius View Post
    There is an additional camera back attachment/ adapter that will allow for the image circle, or "cone" to expand past the 4x5 inch film periphery to allow the use of a 6x17 cm roll film back. This is available many places such as Badger Graphic.
    That item is approx $595 new
    See this link for comments:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-hao-6x17.html

I personally would choose to limit the addition to 6x12 format Graflex compatible roll backs made by Horseman, Calumet, etc,...
    These backs are widely available in the used market.
    If you want all of that extra weight on the rear of a 4x5" format camera you might as well choose to go with a 5x7" field camera and then use the 4x5" reducing back.
    This is a much more versatile setup for the larger panorama while sacrificing nil weight in comparison to the DAYI attachment to your proposed Shen Hao.

Anyway,
    My2Cents...
    Bill
    Yes, another poster also suggested the 5x7. Between this and the two "hasselblad on a tripod experiment" people, I'm more confused than ever and realize I'm going to have to think on it some more.

Thank everyone for your help. Much to chew on!

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Rental is a possibility, but it is likely I'd want to try it for an extended period of time, at which the rental ends up increasing the cost of ownership significantly.
    Ask them.

I did a bunch of reading on this site for weeks now. It seems that many people recommend either a 135, a 150 or a 210 to start.

But from pictures of landscapes I've seen, clearly 90 is a great choice.

So, this is the kind of thing I am asking here. If I buy the 150 because that is what you are supposed to start with, am I going to hate it in just a little while? I should add that I love the 80mm and 150mm on my Hasselblad, and on 35mm I use mainly a 35mm and an 85mm lens (and I don't like it when the 35mm turns into effectively a 50mm-ish lens on my D90).

Glad I made this post because some of these responses are getting me thinking maybe I am not ready for the leap after all. I am pretty happy with medium format, but it is more of wanting to learn about movements and the slow pace and consideration that is making me want to try large format.

John
    There's nothing wrong with the 150mm. I just don't tend to use it as much, because I feel it looks a little "plain" with respect to DOF and perspective. For the price of a new Sironar-S 150 though, you can get two lenses on KEH or similar in excellent (virtually new) condition. I say 90mm (as opposed to a 65mm or 75mm) because it will still allow you to use some movements. I say 210 to 250 because it can compress perspective in generally a Copal 1 shutter, and is nice for portraits.

After more thought and a dose of experimental tripod carrying, I decided to go ahead and test the waters of LF, but with a modified version of what I had first posted here.

I ordered a Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA and Polaroid back from Badger Graphic, as planned. Decided not to get a roll back. For the lens, I broke with my idea of getting something new, and I ordered a used Geronar 210mm f/6.8 from KEH in EX+ condition for $165. I know the lens is not the latest, nor was it ever the greatest, but it seems from reading this and other forums it can work nicely if used within its limitations (that means shooting landscapes at f/16 or f/22 or portrait work). And for that price, even if I end up only learning with it, it is OK with me.

I'm pretty happy with all this from a theoretical standpoint; it should all get here next week, so we'll see how that plays out.

Thanks, all, for your advice.

John

Well, if you find that eerie....

By the way, I find it a little freaky that 2 of the 3 people who have replied to me thus far are from Texas, which is where I am from originally.
    While it may be interesting to find out how many Texans use large cameras, you should really look into the size of the cameras used in Alaska. Only ULF allowed.

I ordered a Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA and Polaroid back from Badger Graphic, as planned. Decided not to get a roll back. For the lens, I broke with my idea of getting something new, and I ordered a used Geronar 210mm f/6.8 from KEH in EX+ condition for $165. I know the lens is not the latest, nor was it ever the greatest, but it seems from reading this and other forums it can work nicely if used within its limitations (that means shooting landscapes at f/16 or f/22 or portrait work). And for that price, even if I end up only learning with it, it is OK with me.

Nice decision, as it takes time to get used to LF & contrary to advice that you are going to like the focal lenths equilent to smaller format prefered one more is not always true.

Learning with more than one lens is always better but start with one lens. Its takes time to be large format photographer.

I personally like croping to roll film back. As it becomes a mess to figure out which back and holder have what film (I case you use both color & B/W)