Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which M Format?

Which M Format?

I realize that this is not large format but I have a question. During a recent burglary of my home my complete Bronica ETRS system (four lenses, three backs etc) was one of the items stolen. I am working with the insurance company on replacing some of these things. I have full replacement cost insurance.

Since Bronica is no longer selling new cameras, what camera would be a similar quality camera? It seems, from what I can determine, that the two main players are Mamiya and Hassleblad. Am I missing something here? Which would you opt for and would you go to the additional expense of a digital back in lieu of the film backs? What does the 22 MP back of the Mamiya have over the 22 MP 5D II that I already own?

Thanks for any information that you care to share.

Donald Miller

Re: Which M Format?

Of course, Hasselblad has the very nice CFV II 16MP and CFV-39 backs that fit the V-series bodies. From what I'v read, even the CFV II 16MP back will give you better resolution and cleaner files than the Nikon D3X. And it's wonderful to work like in the old days with top of the range digital backs.

Hi Don,
    Well, you already have an excellent digital camera, if you enjoy film shooting, then MF digital isn't required.
    I have a Pentax 67II outfit, I like the format..... It makes great images, the main drawback is no interchangable backs.
    I also have a Mamiya 645 Pro.... I don't use it as much.
    If LF, or the 67 is unsuitable to do the job, like weddings then I use the Digital.
    You might also look at the Mamiya 7, (big neg, very portable)
    Camera choice really depends on what you are shooting.
    Happy shooting!
    David Silva
    Modesto, Ca

I have the Mamiya 7, and I am very happy with the quality of the lenses.

Initially I found the rangefinder to be a pain, but now I love it.

There are great values on used Mamiya 7 bodies and lenses, but new it is pricey.

Eric Woodbury

Mamiya 7 works for most everything for me. 43mm, 80mm and sometimes the 150mm. Format is nice. I had a Hassie for years, but wouldn't go back. For when the M7 isn't right, I use the Pentax 67ii. Lot's of lenses to choose from, but it is a heavy brute.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

If you want to buy a new medium format SLR with interchangeable backs and lenses, the only remaining choices are Mamiya and Hasselblad. (You can still buy Rollei new, but with the collapse of Franke and Heidecke, production has ceased. Then again, it has probably ceased on V-series Hasselblad too.)

But it sounds as though this may be a good opportunity to reconsider what you want out of medium format, and with specific objectives in mind you can figure out the mix of used and new equipment that makes sense for you.

The question of adding a digital back is extremely complicated. In general, new medium format digital backs are frightfully expensive. Under ideal conditions they can deliver results beyond - sometimes far beyond - what any 35-style DSLR can, but they're much less versatile and more finicky in use than either medium format film or small format DSLRs. Don't even think about an MFDB without spending a good while following the discussions in the medium format digital sections of the Luminous Landscape and Getdpi forums.

If you are looking at MF digital and depending on your budget, you might look at the new Leica S2. Seems very interesting to me.

Why not keep it simple and use vintage, funky 120 stuff, like older Zeiss folder and TLR Rolleiflexes? The Canon DSLR will already give you cold, clinically sharp photos, so why not shoot film for its soul?

MFDB - lol - if you can rationalize a current model one then never mind.

Just for a reality check ("CS" designates leaf-shutter versions of the lenses):

Bodies:
    S2 Camera Body - $22,995
    S2-P Body with Sapphire LCD Cover Glass and Platinum Service Package - $27,995

Accessories:
    Multi Function Handgrip S - $1,295
    Battery Charger (spare/extra) - $399

Lenses:
    Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 ASPH - $4,495
    Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 ASPH CS - $5,995
    APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 - $6,495
    APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 CS - $7,495
    APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 - $6,495
    APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 CS - $7,495
    Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5 ASPH - $5,295
    Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5 ASPH CS - $5,995

Picked up a user-grade Rolleicord V for ~$150 recently myself - very high (picture taking fun)/cost ratio.