Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood in extreme heat

Re: Wood in extreme heat

I live and photograph in Arizona. The problem is one more of the effects of low humidity on glue joints in wood. I have not had a camera failure with either my 4X5 or my 5X7 but I did have a Martin Guitar suffer damage because of the low humdity. No matter if the wood has been cured before assembly the constant low humidity of 5-8% can dry wood far beyond normal curing. With the further drying the wood shrinks. I store those wood items that may be affected with portable humidifiers now.

Wooden cameras were made and used all over the world, (and still are) without a hitch, in every type of climate. In times past there were "tropical" versions of some cameras, but this just meant that they were bare, varnished wood, and not covered in leather or leatherette, which could mildew and rot in extreme conditions. I am unaware of any current modern wooden view camera that has leather cover though.

Wow, that'll teach me to go to sleep! Many thanks for all the thoughtful, fast responses!

IanG -- Same for me. I've only been working in this kind of heat recently, but it didn't take much handling of the black metal toyo to make me start wondering about alternatives.

Gem -- You are absolutely right. I'm just looking for ways to minimize the bits I can control. One of the reasons for think about a non-folding camera is so that I reduce the set-up time. For what I'm doing I don't need all of the movements...

Ki6mf -- My dark cloth is a heavy fabric one with white on one side. I hadn't though about the part of the equation much, but silver sounds like a good idea.

Ed -- I bet the person who invented focusing bellows had similar issues to mine -- I've never used one, but it looks like it would be interesting to try out. I was joking with someone I was photographing last week that at least the heat was 'dry', they live more or less exposed to the environment year round and didn't smile with me...

Joanna -- Walker might be a good option but I've never handled one. I bet the ABS would be more comfortable than hot metal, but wonder how it would comare to wood. Do you have experience with Walker?

John -- you are definitely onto something

Donald & Jean -- you hit the nail on the head. I'm aware that the heat can affect certain elements of the construction of a camera, and wondering how to minimize those affects (both short and long term) -- partly by selecting the right materials from the beginning, and partly by proper care once I get whatever I ultimately choose. Thanks again...I appreciate hearing everyones thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Hmmm....you guys got me thinking....could I convert an old briar pipe into a mini-pin hole camera??
    Hmmmm. the answer is yes, of course, but why would you want to do that to a pefectly good pipe?

If you decide on wood as the camera material, I would think along the lines of storing the camera apart from photo excursions in an enclosed case (as opposed to a bag). I would plan on providing a souce of moisture inside the enclosed case. This could be as simple as a plastic food storage container with holes punched in the lid and a water soaked cloth inside the container. Try to keep the RH at between 45 - 55%. Don't store your lenses in the same case since the low RH of the ambient air is wonderful sofar as prevention of fungus formation.

Donald Miller

Isn't the ebony wood in the Ebony cameras treated with an oil? If they started with dry wood, then it should not have problems in dry heat. In the humid areas, they might swell a little because there is always room for more water. I would be more concerned about changes in climate than the dryness - it would seem that going from dry to 50% humid enviroment would work the joints to faulure by constant swellng and shrinking.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Hmmm....you guys got me thinking....could I convert an old briar pipe into a mini-pin hole camera??
    Depends on the briar. Better make sure those walls are think, really good grain and birdseye will always help. Now you just need to find film that will fit or cut some.

santo

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    How about an ABS camera from Walker Cameras ; they can survive being submersed into boiling water without distortion.
    Boiling water is only 100C. A black metal camera in the sun w/ air temps of 40C might exceed that of boiling water.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    You turkey.
    Wouldn't that be meerschaum?

Small beach umbrella and a 2 Ft piece of rebar. Drive the rebar into the ground and place the tube of the umbrella over it. Place it between the camera and the sun. I live in a high desert and shoot in Death Valley when I can so I know what you mean about hot cameras. It is a bit more work but in the mid day sun in summer it really works.

My wife's Wista works fine in the heat even when my Toyo is almost too hot to touch.