Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Europe?

Re: Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Thanks Adrian, I'll let you know if I make it that far west.

I'll be going to Norway to Larvik to see one friend, and somewhere else to see another friend too....so a place in Denmark and another place along the way in Norway would be great
    from Larvik you can take the ferry to "Hirtshals" here in Denmark - only about half an hour by train to my place... ("Vrå")

Ash,

I leave for Rome on October 2nd. Should be there around the later part of the 3rd. We can meet up if you would like. Also...I would skip the rail pass. Sometimes the long lines to use the pass are strange. In order to use the rail pass you will need to wait in line and speak to the teller. If you just walk up to the kiosk, you can ge the ticket and go. At least it was like that last year for my wife and I and the last few times I was in Italy.

Santo

Claudio Santambrogio

Ash, most welcome to give me a buzz when you are in Oslo!

Hello from France !

I live in Besançon, France, close to Switzerland.
    I'd be glad to meet somebody from this forum in person.
    Besançon is located 2-1/2 hours from Paris by high-speed train (TGV) through Dijon (the mustard city in Burgundy) and Dole.

If you consider travelling to or through Switzerland, you'll discover how dense the Swiss railway network can be, since the remotest Swiss mountain village is connected either by train or by the Postal Bus to the main network. Moreover touristic steam trains are quite popular in Switzerland, if you are interested.

France still maintains some nice mountain railways, but they tend to vanish those days. I have in mind a few spectacular lines in the Jura, in the Alps and Massif Central if you are interested.

There is a not-so-spectacular regional train line but offering an interesting travel from Besançon (France) to Neuchâtel (Switzerland) through Morteau (F) and La Chaux de Fonds (CH) in the Jura range.

As far as European timetables are concerned, I am a fan of the German web server, you find everything there, it is capable of finding more connections than the French SNCF server, it gives you precise data on how to connect different Parisian trains stations, etc... I use if for all my train planning in France:
    http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

The same but in plain ASCII format (my favourite), simple, fast, efficient, no bells, no whistles:
    http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/el

More information upon request and enjoy your travel by train !
    --
    Emmanuel

Gandolfi I'm going to secure a rough (contradiction? ) itinerary, but chances are I see Denmark before I see Norway, so it would be nice to detour to see you on the way to the coast.

Santo that would be good! I want to hit Rome to find the little street that has a curios shop called Polvere Di Tempo. I visited it maybe 4 years ago now, and by then on my journey I'll need a new leatherbound journal!

http://www.polvereditempo.com/index1.html

Csant will do

Emmanuel, hope to see you too! I'll have a look at pricing, but I plan to do a lot of traveling so I was expecting the interrail to save me money somewhere along the line

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If you do come to Norway, let me know when you are in Bergen. Not coming here when you are in Norway would be a serious mistake.

Leave the Blad at home safe, they are too delicate to be backpacking cameras. Just bring a cheap vintage 120 folder and a 35mm and SHOOT more. Just my uninvited two cents -- you'll probably wreck the Blad or get it ripped off, so leave it home or pawn it.

Claudio Santambrogio

Ole, Ash - or we could arrange to meet somewhere half-way, like on Hardangervidda? Some nice cabins to stay up there, and a spectacular nature...

I'm not sure if your Interrail covers Spain, but if you should happen to head to Granada just drop me a mail or give me a call (mobile phone # is on my web site).

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Gandolfi I'm going to secure a rough (contradiction? ) itinerary, but chances are I see Denmark before I see Norway, so it would be nice to detour to see you on the way to the coast.
    If you're travelling up through Denmark to get to Norway, then the trains always stops here in Vrå...
    From Hirtshals you can get to Larvik, and from Frederikshavn there are also boats to Norway....