Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film: Georgia O'Keeffe

Film: Georgia O'Keeffe

I just watched the Lifetime TV film "Georgia O'Keefe." It was, of course, as much about Alfred Steiglitz as about O'Keeffe.
    Technically not bad, although they scrambled the timelines, as films often do. I think the worst problem was that she doesn't look like O'Keeffe, although the costumes, hair styling, and mannerisms were convincing.
    As to the chacterization of Steiglitz (perfectly portrayed by Jeremy Irons), I just kept thinking of that wonderful quote by Alvy Singer: "What an asshole!"
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Film: Georgia O'Keeffe

For squishing her whole life into a 2 hour TV movie, it wasn't bad. They did show him teaching her to develop film with a red light on, too.
    I've loved her work since I saw some at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts several years ago and I would actually like to watch an accurate documentary of her whole life.

I was looking forward to seeing it but there were too many stops and starts with advertisements. Maybe it will come out on dvd? O'Keefe and Steiglitz were such a force and influence on the American art scene.

Victornoir, I recorded it and fast-forwarded through the innumerable commercials.
    I presume there are many printed biographys of GO'K -- the one I've read was "Portrait of An Artist." There is also an excellent DVD which actually features a cameo by St. Ansel (probably a lot better than this movie).
    Dorothy Norman also wrote a very flattering bio of AS, and I was glad to see that the movie was honestly informative about their relationship.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There is also a one-woman show of Georgia O'Keefe's life that I was lucky enough to catch live a few years ago. I don't remember the star's name or whether it's even still touring but it's well worth seeing if it happens to come to your area.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Smile Re: Film: Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    For squishing her whole life into a 2 hour TV movie, it wasn't bad. They did show him teaching her to develop film with a red light on, too.
    I've loved her work since I saw some at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts several years ago and I would actually like to watch an accurate documentary of her whole life.
    Better showing film developed with a red light than 10 minutes of total darkness.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Octogenarian

Steglitz was probably using ortho film, not pancro film. Insensitive to red light.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

I had found Georgia O'Keefe several yrs ago and read Wikapedia biography on her.. interesting things there

Several years ago there was a dramatization on O'Keefe and Steiglitz lives on PBS. No commercials (I truly cannot tolerate commercial TV anymore); I caught the broadcast at the point where he pressures her to have an abortion because raising a child would have been a nuisance, an intrusion into their (HIS) lifestyle. The film portrayed him (or maybe it's how I interpret it) as insensitive to her feelings.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I think the worst problem was that she doesn't look like O'Keeffe,
    What a silly comment! Why should an actress "look" like the character she plays? Do all photographs look like the subject?
    Keith Pitman