Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film: Georgia O'Keeffe

Re: Film: Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Victornoir, I recorded it and fast-forwarded through the innumerable commercials.
    I presume there are many printed biographys of GO'K -- the one I've read was "Portrait of An Artist." There is also an excellent DVD which actually features a cameo by St. Ansel (probably a lot better than this movie).
    Dorothy Norman also wrote a very flattering bio of AS, and I was glad to see that the movie was honestly informative about their relationship.
    I have to figure out how to work these devices for television! I actually have the D.Norman bio, "An American Seer", I agree it was very flattering, she was an AS fan I guess. I also read bio by Katherine Hoffman, "A Beginning Light", It looks at his formative years and works before 1917. I don't think he would have won any popularity contest.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Tardiff; 25-Sep-2009 at 18:58. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    This is before contraception.
    Where have you been?
    Contraception has been around since Ancient Egypt, and was common in the US after the turn of the 20th Century, (when newly invented Latex rubber comdoms became almost universally available "behind the counter" at most pharmacies).
    You will note that Ansel and Virginia only had two children, as was the norm until after WW2 in middle class families.
    This particular movie didn't mention that it was the abortion of AS's child that put GO'K into the funny farm.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

It's what I always thought of Mr. Stieglitz, a cold impersonal indifferent cunt hound. Why people feared him I have no idea, he used people like an old raincoat.

Where have you been?
    Contraception has been around since Ancient Egypt, and was common in the US after the turn of the 20th Century, (when newly invented Latex rubber comdoms became almost universally available "behind the counter" at most pharmacies).
    You will note that Ansel and Virginia only had two children, as was the norm until after WW2 in middle class families.
    This particular movie didn't mention that it was the abortion of AS's child that put GO'K into the funny farm.
    I have never read about an abortion. Do you have source material for that?

Please don't mistake my meaning, I really want to know. Things can get misconstued on the internet.
    Regards
    BIll

Did a bit of checking up and O'keefe had her Hospitalization in 1933. She was 46 then and Stieglitz was 69. A new baby in his life would have been inconvenient.
    Fecundity is down at those ages, but not impossible.
    The only references on Google are related to the dramatization of the movie.
    I would like to see source material on this topic
    Regards
    Bill

Where have you been?
    Thanks for the history lesson, but if you don't think that attitudes towards having children have changed, then where have YOU been.
    I'm not excusing anything, just talking about the rush to judgement. Its easy to condemn past behaviour on the basis of today's values.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    It's what I always thought of Mr. Stieglitz, a cold impersonal indifferent cunt hound. Why people feared him I have no idea, he used people like an old raincoat.
    Funny you should use that word. He was described by a collegue as being "c**t crazy" ( sorry I can't bring myself to type that, my female collegues would slay me); he also referred to O'keeffe's ingratitude, saying "the c**t has no memory".
    Regards
    Bill

I've never used that word before, in his case it is aptly applied.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Serves him right for being part of the human evolutionary chain...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."