Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead pigs and parental warnings

Dead pigs and parental warnings

My current front page has two gateway images of archtypical South Louisiana life: a hurricane damage picture and a dead pig from a boucherie:

http://www.epr-art.com

I never thought anything about it, since in my view, art is not for sissies. However, my wife thinks I should not show dead pigs without a warning - Warning, this link will take you to a dead pig picture, and behind that, the folk ceremony where the pig was killed and eaten.

I am curious what others think.

Re: Dead pigs and parental warnings

Personally, I don't think that the way the image is presented is either graphic nor offensive. That said, I don't think I would want that on my top page either.

Blumine

I think it's up to you. It's your page.

I found it interesting.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Its your pig so put it where you want it.

More pig on front cover images...

http://www.chrischapmanphotography.com/

even used it on the cover of his book...

I think your subject matter will create some interest and make the viewer want to see more.

I think you need to weigh the very real potential of alienating an otherwise amiable viewer. Me, I don't care, but I'm sure it'll turn away a few people. I guess it depends on what your intention is, only you can answer that..

Wives are usually right about things like this. On the other hand, I think warnings are getting out of hand. "WARNING: Living can be hazardous to your health."

Meet her halfway: Move the pig's head off the front page. Briefly explain a boucherie in text then lead the viewer to the photos.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Dead pigs taste better than live pigs!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Dead pigs taste better than live pigs!
    I bet they taste the same, its just the dead ones are easier to eat...

I think they should be larger by 3x, like 360 to 400 pixels wide each, side by side, with the text more contrasty and easier to read. None of this blue and grey stuff, the Civil War ended a long time ago. Remember what the greatest propagandist and communicator of all time taught us... the most powerful colors for graphic design are Black, White, and Red. Worked for Adolph, they should work for you.

I think the bolder and more graphic the images are, the better. Show us the pig's headless torso!

The pigs head jpeg is linked to a different set of galleries than the text link....

The Breeze Browser galleries are fine, the images are nice and large, BUT somehow you need to give the view a link to get "Home" and to the other galleries, your bio and contact info. Try to keep the navigation consistent, high, and to the left so people can get to it no matter the size of their browser window or monitor.

Do just that and you'd be ahead of most websites.