Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test my new page please

Test my new page please

Hi,

I am working on generating WWW pages from Lightroom. While Lightroom is not very good for processing LF images, it is very good for managing a large number of images and making them into WWW galleries. I have built a page using Lightroom and the Turning Gate template system, and I want to make sure it works on other people's computers and is not too slow:

http://www.epr-art.com/TTG/index.html

You can comment here, or email me.

Re: Test my new page please

Hi Ed,

It works OK on a Safari (Mac), but your top menu is not working. Actually, the menu entries appear to be improperly linked to localhost (which is your own computer). You need to link them to the appropriate pages in a relative (to the home page) or absolute (http://...) sense.

Marko

Dave Karp

It works fine on my Firefox (v. 3.5.3). The menu items are not working on mine either.

Two major problems which are simple to fix.

There are still a lot of people using IE6. Pain though it is to make it compatible you don't need to pee off 10 to 15% of your visitors by not doing so.

Your header image file idplate.png will not display properly in IE6. Make it a transparent gif file with a matte the same colour as your page background.

There are still many people whose screen res is 1024 x ??? This is more than 50% on one site I manage. In other circles it may be less but still way big enough to worry about it. You have made the class highslide-gallery 1100 pixels wide which won't fit in 1024 pixels. You should change the width to 900 pixels which means you get max of 4 thumbnails across screen at the size you currently have. There are compatibility problems with margins in IE6 also but making it 900 which is 4x220 plus margin of error avoids them.

There also problems with the thumbnail borders in firefox and IE6.

Preston Birdwell

The menu items 1-5 give a "The address is not valid" error in IE 7. In the source code, the URL's show as http://, which are not valid addresses. May I assume you haven't generated the pages to which the menu items will point? If you have, you'll need to add the relevant URL's.

Also, and this is a small point: When I click on your name, I get an e-mail message form, which surprised me. I was expecting to be directed to a new page with contact info and (perhaps) an 'artist's statement and e-mail link.

The images display nicely for me. Nice work, too!

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Sorry folks, I should have said to concentrate on the images. The links out are just dummies.

I have been wrestling with the width - I hate to have too much scroll, but I appreciate that there are still folks out there with small monitors. I will play with that and see how it looks.

Taking a peek via IE8 running on Vista, nothing to add to what's been said above re the web page mechanics.

The jpgs are showing very little to no detail in the deep shadows, but there's no way for me to tell from here whether that's just the tonal scale you want or whether there's some calibration or profiling issue.

Hi Oren,

Do you mean that the shadows have gone to black, or that there are no shadows because the images are too flat? Are others seeing the same problem? It is a hassle because monitor calibration does not really apply in browsers.

Hi Ed
    The images look quite fine on my screen , I like the work would love to see more.
    The shadows are very deep but look great.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Hi Oren,

Do you mean that the shadows have gone to black, or that there are no shadows because the images are too flat? Are others seeing the same problem? It is a hassle because monitor calibration does not really apply in browsers.

Hi - As Bob (above) said your images look fine. Thumbnails are a bit dark. When I hit the "1:1" buttom the enlarged image is way too large to see all at once. Need to arrow over to see it all. I'm on a PC w/ Vista and IE8.