Thread: Processing Overview Resources

Processing Overview Resources

I am looking for a pointer to good tutorials for getting started. I shoot 4x5 and recently purchased a Epson V700 scanner and Perfection 3800 printer. I have been shooting color transparencies.

I want to understand better questions like:
    • Which software to use, the Epson or SilverFast
    • What resolution should I be canning them?
    • How to ensure prints look like they do on screen (currently the prints are much darker than what I see)
    • What are the right settings for the printer - should I let the printer or photoshop do color management, etc.

I am really wanting to get started with a good workflow and as I master that, expand into other settings, etc. Really apreciate your input and pointers!

Thanks!

Re: Processing Overview Resources

There is lots of info on this site, but you will have to dig for it.

The best reference I have found is "Photoshop Artistry" by Hayney, Crumpler and Duggan. It will answer your questions.

I have the same hardware. I am using Vuescan to scan and QTR to print but B&W only. I like 3200 spi but your MMV, it may be a bit much for colour.

I like Vuescan, the Epson stuff not so much. It has a steeper learning curve but worth it IMHO.

For B&W QTR is very good. The ABW in the Epson driver works well too. I don't print colour so you are on you own there.

Quote Originally Posted by nodiseos View Post
    I am looking for a pointer to good tutorials for getting started. I shoot 4x5 and recently purchased a Epson V700 scanner and Perfection 3800 printer. I have been shooting color transparencies.

I want to understand better questions like:
    • Which software to use, the Epson or SilverFast
    • What resolution should I be canning them?
    • How to ensure prints look like they do on screen (currently the prints are much darker than what I see)
    • What are the right settings for the printer - should I let the printer or photoshop do color management, etc.

I am really wanting to get started with a good workflow and as I master that, expand into other settings, etc. Really apreciate your input and pointers!

Thanks!
    Well, here's my take:

• Which software to use, the Epson or SilverFast — I use the Epson software, which is a bit clunky but workable. I hear VueScan is more intuitive and a little more powerful.
    • What resolution should I be scanning them? — I scan my 4x5s in at 2400 dpi. I've found the increase in dpi above this does very little unless I'm going to print very big. And I can always rescan the negatives if I do need them larger. Remember, at 2400 dpi your 4x5s have a native size of 32x40 at 300 dpi, large than your printer can handle.
    • How to ensure prints look like they do on screen (currently the prints are much darker than what I see) — this is the bane of the digital imaging world. Learn how to calibrate your system, monitor and printer. It may be a little daunting at first, but after a while it becomes intuitive, and it's the only way ensure matching from capture through output.
    • What are the right settings for the printer - should I let the printer or photoshop do color management, etc. — see the above, it's all about the calibration and profiling.

As for color versus B&W, you can do both on your system. I swap out cartridges as I need them. For B&W I like the results from QTR and MIS, Cone Inks also have a decent reputation, and as for color, the Epson inks seems to work well. There are higher end inks out there, which cost more money, but for all intents and purposes, the Epson inks produce good color.

My dos centavos...

Brian