Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: LF lenses are expensive.

Re: LF lenses are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    You can always find "experienced" (leaky bellows) folders on ebay for a couple of bucks and pop the lens & shutter off 'em.
    In the UK they (some less scrupulous dealers) seem to be doing that anyway, sell the camera without lens, and then the lens for very much more than the itwould be with the original camera.

They can sell a 135mm/150mm Tessar for far more than a complete 9x12 camera, the buyers are gullible.

There are good sellers UK/US and elsewhere, they usually sell via their own premises, often with a website and an Ebay Store. These guys are usually fair in their prices and accurate in their descriptions.

They might be more via their store/website but will offer a warranty usually only 3-6 months but that's long enough to know whether an item isn't up to scratch.

Ian

David J. Heinrich

I don't know, if people buy the lens & camera body separately for more than they'd be together, that seems like their fault. Maybe it is that some people have no use for the lens that comes with the camera body, or vica-versa, thus will pay for the individual component, and more than that component + the other one would be if bundled for the body. It is quite common that when people buy things in a bundle, they get a better deal than when people buy things all separated out.

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    I don't know, if people buy the lens & camera body separately for more than they'd be together, that seems like their fault. Maybe it is that some people have no use for the lens that comes with the camera body, or vica-versa, thus will pay for the individual component, and more than that component + the other one would be if bundled for the body. It is quite common that when people buy things in a bundle, they get a better deal than when people buy things all separated out.
    Should have qualified that, I was referring to lenses from European cameras many of which were 9x12 format.

The same UK sellers have lenses like 90mm f6.8 Angulon's for sale at "Buy it Now" prices between about £230-£260 ($370-$415) while reputable dealers generally sell them with no reserve or for via their shops/websites for£90-£120 (£144-$192) although one is at £152 ($246), these are for good clean optics and fully working shutters.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    LF lenses are CHEAP!

Talking about Mark Sawyer's Cooke Portrait lens the other day I noted that in 1921 his lens sold for $405! A new Ford was $265 You could probably score a Nash or an Oakland for your $405. In 2008 $$$$ that $405 = $4834. iirc Mark paid about $700. That's a real bargain compared to what the first guy shelled out. Everything is relative.

I have several thousand $$$ worth of Pinkham & Smith lenses out in my 1700 degree 2 hour safe. Just now the lens that is giving me the most satisfaction is a $59 no-name landscape meniscus. Killer look to it. Again, everything is relative.
    I must agree with JIM, got a mint 12 inch Heliar and an "Brand new second hand in box" 10 inch Hermagis portrait F3, both on line for less than 200 USD, it's kinda an addiction, hard to let them go for such a bargain price and my favorite lens are always very affordable! I use to enjoy a leica R6.2 and paid 2000 USD for some lenses and that was second hand and a bargain, that was in the last century!
    Mostly one must be patient there is a lot of deals..I am also very pleased with KEH, what they sell is in very good shape!

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    I disagree with the premise that all used LF lenses are expensive. They're dirt cheap right now, without a doubt the cheapest they've ever been (when currency inflation is factored in, anyhow).

Heck, even exquisitely well built-and-cared-for apochromats are often selling for just a fraction of what new ones cost.

If you're expecting free junk-drawer stuff, you might find even that, if you're patient.
    What Ivan said.

hacker extraordinaire

Well, as of now I have a Tominon 127 f/4.7 in a Copal self-cocking shutter (free), a 90mm Angulon f/6.8 ($100), a Raptar 210 f/4.5 process lens (I think-$50) along with my $20 enlarging lens. I would like it if these lenses had more coverage or were faster or had shutters, but these really do all I need to do right now.

If buying new in the US, yes large format lenses can be expensive because the dollar is black and blue with it's jaw broken and it's teeth missing with a good black eye. This is including not just stuff from Europe but Japan too. But if you buy used there is very good deals out there. I got two lenses recently at very good prices. Cheers