Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what one of a kind piece of equipment do you own?

Confidently Agnostic!

Re: what one of a kind piece of equipment do you own?

I have a 4x5 falling plate box camera which is fairly unique, maybe not one of a kind but definitely a rare thing to find. I'll try to photograph the thing tonight.
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

Well it's not one of a kind but I believe it's fairly uncommon.
    My Dallmeyer 4B f/3. I would like to know if anyone else has one. Search turned Emile did.

Certainly not the only one ever made, but definitely uncommon.
    60cm Voigtlaender Heliar f/4.5 weighs about 16lbs. Currently modifying cameras so I can use it.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I can't tell you what I own but I can tell you what I don't have and someone else does have one of. In 1985 my wife and I were traveling from Heidelberg to Nancy France when she wanted to call home and check on our kids at college. We drove into the center of Strassburg France and parked in the underground garage beneath the town hall. We made a quick trip upstairs to make the call and when we got back 20 minutes later we could see that our car had been broken into and that her clothes were strewn over the garage floor and all of my suitcases and camera cases were gone. Included in the missing cameras was a prototype of a new Linhof 612 which was non-functioning but looked and felt like the real thing. We were going to the Linhof factory for some meetings after Nancy and we were bringing the camera back after showing it in the USA at some shows.

So someone got that one of a kind prototype and it was never sent in to the factory for service. It just disappeared! Complete with a lens!

Also gone were three Rollei 6006 Mk II cameras 5 lenses, 2 Rollei SL3000 cameras and 6 lenses and our film, airline tickets, passports, car keys for our car parked at the airport in NYC and some suitcases and camera cases. The Gendarmes told us that they had had 50 more similar incidents in the same parking lot that month!

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    ...i have a voigtlander 7B petzval lens. i have never seen another or heard of anyone that has...
    "Well I'll tell him, but I don't think he'll be too keen, you see, he's already got one."
    Monty Python - The Quest for the Holy Grail

I have another giant, rare petzval that probably no one else has. It's a Dr. Darlotd [sic], obviously made after Darlot got his PhD in optics. This one is much more rare than those silly Jamin or regular Darlot lenses. It actually takes swell pictures.

My Hot Wasabi Peatzval portrait lens is a unique, semi-contemporary, variant of the Wollensak Vesta 6½×8½ (12") lens.

Here's my 300mm Metrogon I use for 8x20. Covers beautifully and is quite sharp at f22. Wide open there is a lot of spherical aberration. Very heavy, the lensboard fits a 2D. A 4x5 135mm lens is shown for comparison.

If there is anyone out there who also uses this lens I have a question. It's listed as an f6.3, but my exposures based on this F-number are quite overexposed. Is it possible the F-number includes the red or yellow center filter as part of the optic? The lens is from an aerial camera the size of a Volkswagen that uses 9x18 film.

I'm using waterhouse stops that I made from data included with the lens.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    .... and keep a modicum of stuff on the floor so that it looks to be rather unsafe to venture in past the door.
    i use the same technique with my car...keeps the crooks moving to the lexus and acuras.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    Well it's not one of a kind but I believe it's fairly uncommon.
    My Dallmeyer 4B f/3. I would like to know if anyone else has one. Search turned Emile did.
    oh baby! i sure do want one...you lucky guy you!

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    "Well I'll tell him, but I don't think he'll be too keen, you see, he's already got one."
    Monty Python - The Quest for the Holy Grail

I have another giant, rare petzval that probably no one else has. It's a Dr. Darlotd [sic], obviously made after Darlot got his PhD in optics. This one is much more rare than those silly Jamin or regular Darlot lenses. It actually takes swell pictures.
    love the quote! looks cool. swell pictures are always good.

Quote Originally Posted by benrains View Post
    My Hot Wasabi Peatzval portrait lens is a unique, semi-contemporary, variant of the Wollensak Vesta 6½×8½ (12") lens.

Awesome! that is one sweet barrel! i love it! thanks for the pic. i love the "engraving" as well! it says it all!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I moved my 5x7 Beseler enlarger head over to a 4x5MX chassis so both enlargers would fit into identical cubicles. I'm limited to 20x24 enlargements now, but that's never bothered me much, since I never print bigger than 12x16 on 16x20 paper.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Hey, Eddie:

How 'bout a trade?

Charley