Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angulon 90/6.8 examples & opinions?

Angulon 90/6.8 examples & opinions?

I just got an elderly Angulon 90/6.8 for ~US$100, but haven't used it yet. The glass is clear and everything is in working order. I plan on using it with an old Crown Graphic.

What's the general consensus on this lens? Does anyone have some sample images I can see to get a visual idea on things like angle of view?

Thanks!

Re: Angulon 90/6.8 examples & opinions?

Last edited by salihonba; 10-Sep-2009 at 01:46.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I like mine. The coverage is sufficient for 4x5" straight on at moderate apertures, stopped all the way down they provide a little leeway for movements too. Central sharpness is superb.

"Elderly" is a relative term, and the age of the lens does make a difference as the Angulon has been through several minor design changes: http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Angulon/index.html

If you're looking to do architecture, then the 6.8 is not the best choice. Otherwise, this is a great little lens. It weighs practically nothing, doesn't flare easily, and is plenty sharp. My sample comes close to out-resolving color film, even wide open.

It corresponds to about a 24mm lens in 35mm format, which means it's a nice wide view without being over the top. It also means you don't have to stop down to f/64 to get deep DOF.

Here are a couple examples, all at f/6.8 and handheld (excuse the light leaks from my DIY camera)...

Here's a 100% crop from the image above. There's more detail in the chrome -- it would take a nice 4000 DPI drum scan to bring it out.

If you're lucky and have a good one they aren't bad. My first 20+ years ago was poor despite being Linhof Select, but the one I picked up 3 years ago isn't bad, there's zero practical room for movements except careful use of tilt/fall.

I use mine on a Crown Graphic hand-held, stopped down well with HP5, and the results are sharp and almost comparable to my 90mm f5.6 SA or f6.8 Grandagon. It's not as wide as a 24mm on 35mm more like a 28mm.

Dean (razzledog) has found that the cell spacing varies depending on the shutter, and where further apart the lens is less sharp. The Schneider literature states they can be used as convertibles.

Stadium, Nyssa

Stadium Aphrodisias

Ian

They are as sharp as anything else within their limitations, look for higher serial numbers when Schneider's quality control got better, like 6 million plus.

The wide image is two shots stitched together. It saved me having to buy a 58mm XL ;-)

Frank, looks like you got a decent amount of rise out of that first shot!

I do a lot of Photoshop correction to be honest. I did make a large print on art paper that held up well, but it was more of an artsy-fartsy print than a critical, hard-edged photo.

But the other color shot looks great, I've printed that 40" wide and it looks as sharp as the 90/4.5 Grandagon that I used to have (that is the perfect lens for movements).

Brian,

Chris Perez a few years ago did an interesting test of a 90mm Angulon against the much vaunted 110mm Super Symmar XL. Here's a link to that study.

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez//test/AngSSXL.html

His comparison demonstrated the diminutive, vintage Angulon to be a close competitor to the latest offering by Schneider. In terms of coverage comparison, that would be a different story.

I have a couple of late vintage Angulons (65mm and 90mm) and they are wonderful for landscape use where extreme movements aren't typically required. With my 90mm, the use of back standard movements allows you some play within the Angulon's limited coverage.

With only 4 air-to-glass surfaces, these single-coated lenses have the contrast and snap of the more complex modern multi-element/multi-coated wide angles.

The note about the variability in the quality of these Angulons is sadly true. I went through a number of the 90mm's before I found one that was truly sharp to the edges. Both of mine are in the 9,000,000 series (1965 and on), but I have a friend with one in the 6,000,000 (1960) and it's amazingly sharp throughout.

Enjoy the one you have in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tweed View Post
    The note about the variability in the quality of these Angulons is sadly true. I went through a number of the 90mm's before I found one that was truly sharp to the edges. Both of mine are in the 9,000,000 series (1965 and on), but I have a friend with one in the 6,000,000 (1960) and it's amazingly sharp throughout.
    Earlier I mentioned Dean Jones of Razzledog fame, if his findings are correct and it's the cell separation then it's a shutter mount tolerance problem as the Schneider cells are well made. He was machining Compur's to improve the sharpness. He notice differences in overall lengths between various similar 90mm Angulons.

Ian