Thread: Help mounting lens with wide OD onto lensboard

Ron Miller

Help mounting lens with wide OD onto lensboard

Guys,

I have a Chamonix 4x5. I recently bought a lens with a big shutter whose OD is wider than the wista lensboard. The hole is a few mm larger than a copal #3 but still acceptable for the board. The problem is that the lensboard will not fit into the Chamonix once the lens is on. Anyone face the same problems? Other than seeing if the glass can be mounted into another shutter or selling it, do I have any options?

Re: Help mounting lens with wide OD onto lensboard

I’m sure people more knowledgeable than I will chime in but all of the Copal 3’s I have owned have a spacer ring that can be placed in front of or behind the board. Does yours have one?
    Jerome

Hmm. I shoot tiny little 2x3 Graphics with tiny little boards.

I've dealt with the problem by having SKGrimes make, as required, flanges or retaining rings that allow the big fat lens or shutter to be mounted entirely in front of the board.

Sorry, I don't know of an inexpensive DIY solution to the problem. Epoxy putty, if you trust the stuff; I don't.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

If I am reading your question correctly, what I have done on some lenses where the lens flange mounts to the front of the lens board has been to cut the lens flange down to be within the lens board size. On lenses where the flange in on the back of the board, I mount a spacer to the front of the board of a depth which allows the lens to clear the camera hardware which holds the lens board in place. Since I mount all of my lenses to 4x4 lens boards and then to reducer boards, I do this to a number of lenses with large shutters.

Preston

Are you aware that Wista makes lensboards with extensions built into them so the shutter will not contact the board? However the largest size is for the Copal 3 shutter. You can buy these from Camera Wholesalers in Stamford, Symonds in W. Hartford or most other camera stores.