Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: choice of tablet

Jiri Hauser

choice of tablet

Hello everybody,

I want to buy a tablet. As far as I know, Wacom brand is the best choice. Do you have any experience ? Thanks.

Re: choice of tablet

I have a Wacom Intuos 3 with the 6x8 surface. The whole thing is bigger than that, but it's still an ok size. I think they've come out with a new group of tablets, but I haven't checked. I really like mine. You can tell it what you want some of the buttons to do and it's so much easier to use for editing than a mouse. Mostly, I just need to get rid of dust or do relatively simple things, but it works really well and is easy to use. Selecting objects is much easier with the tablet.

lazy retired bum

I have the medium sized Intuos 4 and love it. It is my first tablet and it did have a bit of a learning curve but now the idea of painting with a brick... I mean mouse, is inconceivable. It appears to be a very well engineered device.
    Eric

I believe MAC is going to be coming out with one in January.

Preston Birdwell

Here's the Info from Intuos...

http://intuos.wacom.com/Americas/Intuos 4

I am looking into one of these, as well. So, I am interested in your thoughts on it.

Cheers,

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I use the larger 9X12 Wacom Tablet continuously, and I have employed this device for the past ten years, where my computer's mouse simply gathers dust until it is required for non Wacom compliant processes, such as any operation from my operating system CD.

For the moment, I cannot fathom using a mouse for any operation on my computer, especially Photoshop or any of my drawing applications. I found that the pen tool and its actions happen to be a most useful accessory which fits and acts naturally within my hand. This device allows me to draw and work effortlessly within any application since the pen tool is programmable, although I keep the device's programming to a simple double click or lock. A single tap or double tap on the tablet's surface will suffice too.

My only complaint about this device happens to be that the drawing tips wear out too quickly, and I must replace them frequently. The replacement nibs follow the same economic rules as Gillette's replacement razor blades...

jim k

I have been using WACOM tablets since 1995, when I was in college. After using many of these, in a variety of sizes, I am currently using a 6x8 Graphire 4. The current models are the Bamboo and Intuos. There is also a wireless Graphire version and a Cintiq with built in display, neither of which I would really recommend, though they work nicely.

On the even smaller than 6x8 tablets, you move your fingers more. On the medium sized tablets, you move your hand and fingers. On the largest tablets, you move your entire arm, hand and wrist. I have used some quite large tablets, and they are much more physical; the medium sized tablets seem like a good compromise on movement to the action of the cursor.

You do not necessarily need to go with a big tablet to match a big monitor. The low end tablets have very fine control, and work well up until the larger computer monitors. When you are working at a desk, and using a 24" or larger monitor, then you might find a little advantage with the Intuos. If you are doing architecture, or product design, and using the tablet to select finite point locations, then the really large tablets might be something to consider.

They do take some getting use to when you first get a WACOM. I have seen many push too hard, and get a too firm grip on the pen, causing a great deal of fatigue. These pen tablets are completely different than using a mouse, and reward a very light grip and lots of lifting and positioning, as opposed to an instinct to push and drag like a mouse. Once you figure out the lightness of use, then they are very unobstrusive; though it might take you a while to get to that point. I would suggest using the pen for everything, even pulldown menus and navigation, when you first get the tablet; then you will get use to it faster.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Jiri Hauser

I would definitely like to have one with built-in display, but they are much beyond my budget ... so medium sized Intuos 4 will probably be my choice. Thank you very much for you comment.

Preston Birdwell

I am glad this topic was posted, and I appreciate the comments made. I'm sold. I am going to order a medium size Intuos 4 soon. I am very tired of making detailed selections, or mask painting with a 'brick'. The tablet sounds great!

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I've been using a Wacom Intuos 6x8 tablet for about 6 years. It's o.k. but it doesn't do all that much for me. I mostly just use the pen for drawing fine selection lines. When I first got it I tried using some of the other tools and thought they were more inconvenient to use than a mouse and keyboard shortcuts. I'm not selling this one but I won't bother with another when it goes. This doesn't mean it's a bad product, just that I didn't find it very useful.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.