Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses - who's least expensive and still good?

Lenses - who's least expensive and still good?

As the proud owner of a very green 8x10 Calumet C-1 through unusual circumstance (too many details to bore you with), I am now in need a lens or two for this be ast. I plan to do B/W scenery - probably looking for a modest wide angle and a n ormal focal length.

As I research the different lens makers, could I call on the list's collective w isdom to help rank various lens makers by quality and price? Who's overpriced? W ho's least expensive and still good?

Your experience and insight will be very welcome - Bill

I have the exact camera and a pretty interesting story about acquiring it as well. For lenses, I picked up an uncoated 19" Apo Artar in a Copal 3 shutter for under $500 and a Fujinon A 240mm in a Copal 1. This would be the rough equivalent of a 210mm and 120mm for a 4x5. Both these lenses have excellent coverage and a as sharp as I could desire.

You may want to look at the 305mm G-Claron from Schneider. Image circle of ample size for 8x10, excellent quality. This lens was discontinued recently by Schneider. As a result prices have dropped. Badger Graphics has brand new ones for $689.00. Of course I think it is safe to say that the Schneider lenses are simply the best, or is that just a family prejudice.

I own a Calumet or (Caltar) 180 5.6 lens which is manufactured by Rodenstock. A ccording to Calumet it is the second sharpest lens they sell, the 210 5.6 is the sharpest.

Bill:

I bought my C-1 about 7 years ago for a little over $600. The camera came with a 300mm/500mm Schneider Convertible Symmar. It also has a 4x5 reduction back. The Schneider is fairly sharp although I rarely use the 500mm option. It also works well on 4x5 closeup work in conjunction with the reduction back. In addition, the lens actually covers 11x14! The 300mm Convertible Symmar is heavy and, thus, might not make an ideal choice for scenery. Of course, if you have the stamina to carry the C-1 and a tripod into the field, the size of the lens probably won't bother you.

If you are looking for a moderate wide angle, I would vote for a 210mm. I use a Fujinon 210W which was purchased used several years ago for about $500. Obviously, many other manufacturers make 210mm lenses and a Nikon, Rodenstock, or Schneider would give good quality results.

There are several keys to picking up good, inexpensive lenses. First, buy used. Second, don't be afraid of older lenses provided that they are coated and have minimal damage. There are all kinds of older, post-WW II lenses that would meet your needs including the Kodak Commercial Ektar and the Goerz Red Dot Artar. Third, look for bargains where the same basic lens is cheaper in a larger minimum aperture (an f8 Super Angulon is normally less than a f5.6 Super Angulon). The image on the ground glass will be darker, but you will save money in the short run. Fourth, consider a barrel lens. You will need to shoot longer exposures (2 plus seconds) and use a lenscap/hat, but the inconveneince could save you $100-200.

If you buy new, consider a lens optimized for closeup work such as the G-Claron. These lenses work well as lanscape lenses. In addition, many individuals on this forum have purchsed new lenses from overseas dealers at a considerable cost savings. Take a look at Robert White's site for example.

I hope this helps and good luck with the C-1.

Hey, guys, come on, don't tease us. I [for one] would love to hear your acquisition stories. Gives us all hope!
    Alec

For an affordable modest wideangle, I really like the 10" Kodak Wide-Field Ektar. It has a smooth look and a huge coverage circle with plenty of room for movements. In a working Ilex #5 shutter, it should run $450-550.

If you don't mind carrying around and stowing one of the largest and heaviest lenses going, you might consider a Caltar-S II. This is the same as a Schneider Symmar S 360mm f6.8 lens. They can sell fairly reasonably at around $700-$800. This isn't too bad for what you are getting. Or, I picked up a Caltar-S II 300mm for about $625, which wasn't a bad price, either.

The Caltar II S (there's a difference) is a Rodenstock lens, probably a little smaller, and I'm sure it also is top quality.

If your exposure times tend to be a bit on the long side, an enlarger lens would be an excellent choice. With labs going out of business they are going dirt cheap. Simply use the lens cap for a shutter. With your dark slide and a little practice you can get 1 / 15 sec.

Ditto on the 240 Fujinon A. There is one going on EBAY now. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1296616679

Schneider G-Claron 240mm 270mm 305mm all in Copal 1!! and 355mm Copal 3.

210mm G-Claron will cover 8X10 at f22 and smaller in spite of what Schneider's page says. Yes MTF degrades some way in the corners but at least your sky won't vignette.

I'll admit to a little heavy breathing last nite over a NIKKOR 300mm M that has a fair price on Ebay but then I checked Chris Perez and Kerry Thalmann's lens test data page and there's the Nikkor with way lower numbers and way smaller circle than the G-Claron 305 I already have. That's a great resource, and I am much appreciative. J