Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a recovering"Magic Bullet" chaser

Confessions of a recovering"Magic Bullet" chaser

I was fortunate to avoid this malady to a great extent. Fortunately when I got serious about my photography 15 years ago I took the advice of a teacher and stuck with a few basic materials and learned to get the most out of them. I started out with the Kodak Trinity- TriX, D76 and Dektol. I pretty much stuck with this combo along with expanding into TMAX films for 5 years. I removed some variables early by purchasing a Nikon FA and a new Beseler Enlarger. i learned that the technical side of photography is simply following sound scientific methods. Set a baseline of standards, Then experiment in a rational way to improve those standards. I discovered that with patience you can make any combination of film, paper, and chemistry produce excellent prints as long as you understand their strengths and work with them in mind. When I moved into large format 10 years ago I realized that I now had to eliminate more variables so with a used D-2 I purchased new lenses, and one new 150mm lens for the camera. No excuses for unsharp negs or prints except my technique. So i experiment, eliminate variables etc.

I still use Dektol, but I have grown to using other chemistry, specific developers for certain situations and certain papers for certain negs and I still test and experiment with them to get the results i want.

One last item, I have found that the other indespensible item(s) are some fine prints from other photographers that you can compare your work with. The quality of those prints was a good strating point to strive for.

Chasing the bullet? How about dodging it? I wear Kevlar

There's an easy solution - unemployment.

I've just had to flog all the Hasselblad and Leica magic bullets to pay the rent. Now I'm back to a basic 5x4 kit and a Nikon F2 with some old Q-series lenses. I can only afford a few films a week so wasted frames are not an option. Result? Some of the best photos I've taken in years, a massive release of creative energy and a determination to put in that extra effort to get the best results out of what I've got.

So give it a try - tell your boss to go F. himself and sell most of the gear. (Those who want to try this cure as a short term, reversible measure could just try locking all equipment in a cupboard for a weekend except for one camera, one lens and a few film holders.)

One of the best bodies of work I've seen recently was done by photographer who used a plastic 120 camera with a plastic lens.

May I add the "Land of Magic" to the discussion... Racing 80 mph down a boring interstate to get to the "Good Spots", and missing the wonderful people and country that line the highways and roads that sail by overhead at the overpasses. -Dave

I took the Rollie twin out today....how refreshing to use one camera and one lens only....light and fast to use ...all hand held...great Zeiss lens that seems to alwaws feel right no matter what...it had been sitting for a while but something told me to use it today in the forest and beach.I used to think it was a slow camera when I used 35mm more, but now it seems incredibly fast and convenient and LIGHT as compared to a view camera. Maybe simplification is the real magic bullet. I really had fun with it...my soul could breathe more deeply without having to worry about all the errors that I might make with the view camera.If I have all day to photograph I do love to use the view camera though! The Rollie let me take 36 shots in 2 hours while on a 3 mile hike with no particular destination...just walking and composing and photographing.....being in the moment...photographing with nature in tune with the universe and with my wife!Believe me ....my wife would have been less than enthusiastic if I brought the tripod/view along!Now to develop the film.

Gosh Kevin the writing is on the wall for me and I guess I had better also sign up for ?Magic Bullet Anonymous?. Now I have but one small question. What am I going to do with that money? Give it to the wife? Heaven forbid! I starting to feel weak in the knees already!

What a great post! So many of us have been there and recognize both the desire and the futility! Since re-entering lf after many years away I have been very determined not to repeat mistakes of the past- in 4x5 TriX/PMK/Galerie/Dektol ( I wa susing HC110 until I shot exactly the same subject with TriX/C110 and TriX/PMK and could see the difference (acutance/highlights)-only PMK since then) and in 8x10 HP5/PMK/Azo/Amidol-these combos are "under control" in my darkroom so any problem with the photographs-ITS ME!. This has forced me to focus only on what Im doing to make a good picture or what Im not doing when a mediocre image comes about. As with another message having prints to "inspire" you also helps A LOT. What is lacking for many of us is really good, constructive criticism. As with many passions it is about self discovery-the magic bullet syndrome is part of that journey. Thanks for a great thread...

Alan

What a wonderful post. I would like to share one thing that is helping me greatly that was hinted at above. I have found and befriended a photographer here where I live who is also a professor of photography at the local art college. I have employed him as my personal photographic coach for an hourly rate when I need critique of work that I have just finished. He does this gladly and it has helped my printing to an amazing degree. I tend to "fall in love" at times with an image and my objectivity goes out the window. He shows me what's missing, ill-conceived, or poorly executed. He asks me tough questions about intention in taking the photo and composition. I ALWAYS seem to come away with something new and fresh with deeper understanding or new distinctions that I NEVER could have come up with just on my own. People in other fields always use a coach to get to the next level: mucisians, athletes, dancers, singers, meditators, craftsman of all types. We photographers tend to be an "independent lot" and what we miss is the opportunity for others to contribute to our growth and development.

Someone once said that anyone who wants to master anything needs three things: Knowledge, practice and coaching. We tend to forget the coaching.

Scott

Damn these folks with the puritan work ethic who want to replace good old silver bullets with plain hard work. I mean, hard work can be found around any street corner, but the seductive lure of a Silmarillion gold dot negative souped in Rudimentol - ah, you don't find that just anywhere, my good friends. Cheers, DJ