Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rotating backs

rotating backs

I just bought a new view camera with a rotating back. Why is it when I rotate th e back, the image is still upside down.

rotating backs

I don't make many posts, but this one I have to say hah on. :-)

If you're serious, my apologies upfront.

rotating backs

Rotate the lens 180 degrees, problem solved.

rotating backs

Larry,

If you were serious, you better say so soon, or this is going to get to be too much fun.

rotating backs

Oh oh - okay - if you really are serious - and I can see you actually could be... the image on the focus screen will always be upside down - it's one of the joys of Large Format - learning to read the picture upside down. The rotating back just allows you to go from horizontal to vertical format easily and quickly (and also make minor adjustemnts to the horizon line without fiddling with the tripod/head.).

If you weren't serious - I just about blew coffee out of my nose reading the post!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

rotating backs

Sounds like the bellows was insatlled upside down. I had this happen to me about 80 years ago. It took forever to figure it out. In your case, I would return it to the dealer

Just kidding...

rotating backs

Larry, just rotating the back woun't do -- you have to rotate the whole camera - i.e put your camera on the ground, then attach the tripod to the camera so that the legs form an upside-down pyramid faceing straight towards the sky. This works best with very very expensive and over-built cameras.

PS - of course, this technique works only in the southern hemisphere

Please let the group know how your test with this technique worked - i'm certain that this will be very entertaining..

thank you for your contribution to the moral of all of us in these hard times an d God bless America

Hagai Kaufman Tel Aviv

Beverly Hills, California

rotating backs

Try rotating the photographer first. If that don't work, send new camera to me. Andre

rotating backs

I would have thought this was one of the funniest posts I've ever seen, then I noticed the .edu suffix, and realized that it was certainly not a joke. Lucky for Larry, there are several appropiate answers given by his peers.

rotating backs

SLR cameras have a prism that makes the image appear right side up. The image projected directly on the film or groundglass appears upside down and reversed. Some LF camera systems offer reflex viewers that will make it appear right side up.

For that matter, the image on your retina is upside down and reversed, but the brain figures it all out.