Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graded Fiber Paper Opinions?

Graded Fiber Paper Opinions?

I have been printing my keepers on Kodak Polymax Fine Art FB, but I am considering switching to a graded FB paper since my D-II doesn't have a filter d rawer and for my LF pictures. I tend to print everything at a grade 2 or 3 with filters anyway. Does anyone have a specific paper to try first? I was thinking a bout either Forte, Ilford Galerie, or Oriental as a start. B&H seems to be out o f pretty much every size of the Forte, though. Any suggestions?

Erik,

It has been a while since I've used Galerie (it's indent only here in Australia - a carton of each grade at a time!) but it was always something of a bench mark for me.

Recently I've been having great joy with Fortezo museum weight. It is fairly punchy but I find the 'Soft' gives me a nice print from a full range TMY neg. Dektol 1+2 at 24? for around 2 mins.

I might add that I am never as elated with any of the VC papers I use. The wait for supply may well be worth the inconvenience.

Cheers ... WG

For contact printing, Kodak Azo "gaslight" paper. Look at Michael Smith's website and article (he's in the list of photographer websites in this LF website). The oldest continuously marketed photographic product in existence (over 100 years). Tonal range approaches that of platinum. Easy to use (extremely slow, a tungsten lamp in the next room around the corner is no big deal).... For enlarging, the Bergger papers, especially Silver Supreme. Check out their website, which includes a list of vendors (Freestyle included). -jeff buckels (albuquerque nm)

Paper is a very personal thing, but for me Oriental Seagull wins hands down. Not that other papers aren't fine.

I also agree with Charlie...Oriental is a wonderful paper.

While graded papers can have some advantages, and I frequently promote their use here and elsewhere, if you are happy with your smaller format "keepers" on Polymax Fine Art FB, why not use it with the D-II as well? Polymax is a very nice paper, and, if you use under-lens Polymax filters (the ones in plastic frames), keeping them dust- and scratch-free, there will be no difference in print sharpness compared to above the negative filters.

Erik,

Another vote for Oriental Seagull G. Nick.

Hi-

This is my first post here. After an absence from photography for several years (and a couple of beautiful daughters later), I am getting back into the hobby that I really love, (despite the amount of time it takes).

In any event, it appears that many of my old favorite graded papers are no longer available, including Agfa Insignia and even Oriental Seagul (referenced in the old posts above in 2001).

Any suggestions on current graded fiber papers? It seems that the choices are very narrow, and I am not currently set up to do VC printing.

Thanks,

Rob, 2+ years after Erik's original post there are still fine graded papers available. Oriental is back, albeit without the cadmium; most current users say it's still a great product. If you're after neutral tone, I can personally recommend Bergger Prestige graded NB. Many others here and elsewhere speak highly of Bergger's warm toned counterpart, CB. Give one or more of those a try and you'll probably be very happy.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Oriental and Bergger Sal. I've never heard of Bergger until reading some of the threads here. I will see if I can pick some up and give that a try.

Since I was last active in this hobby, it looks like the Zone VI papers are also no longer being made. Is that correct?