Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 45-N1 with Teak wood

Re: Chamonix 45-N1 with Teak wood

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I had an unfinished cocktail table once made from Teak and Koa that I hand rubbed with Tung oil. It was quite beautiful. I guess it would just depend on the whether the Teak is from old growth, or plantation grown trees.

Importing Walnut from outside of Asia or China I would imagine would drive the price of the finished product up. Would be interesting to hear from those who receive these Teak models to get their impressions.

And as someone has already pointed out -- the esthetic perspective is one thing, but you buy a camera to take pictures, --not look at.

As noted, China has a very healthy harvest of their own Walnut.
    Teak is not grown in China but imported. Old growth Teak harvesting is generally illegal. Ethically I would rather not contribute to the demand. Images are often created with "aesthetics" as a fundamental trait - working with aesthetically pleasing equipment is an important consideration for some.

Brian, many hardwoods darken with age and exposure to UV. The tone is one consideration, the figuring of the grain is also an important part of the aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBearings View Post
    Hugo told me they would not be featuring Walnut again, only the lighter tone wood
    Apparently the design may change going forward as well.
    Well dang. The other image they have on their website, is that the Canadian Maple? The darker red one. If they are just doing teak now I guess I will have to buy used or switch brands.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Flea77 View Post
    Well dang. The other image they have on their website, is that the Canadian Maple? The darker red one. If they are just doing teak now I guess I will have to buy used or switch brands.

Allan
    As far as I know, the images on the site feature either Walnut Or Maple.
    If they have run out of Walnut, I don't know what they plan to do when someone needs another retaining back for their Walnut camera. The backs have wood screws holding the fresnels/GG. With the fresnel issues, frequently swapping a wide angle fresnel for a regular fresnel will eventually result in those holes wearing.

If they have run out of Walnut, I don't know what they plan to do when someone needs another retaining back for their Walnut camera.
    Has anyone contacted Hugo regarding this and possibly related concerns?

Also, there was mention that alluded to China having a healthy harvest of Walnut.
    If this is true, then Hugo's statement that Chamonix will no longer be offered in Walnut doesn't seem to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Has anyone contacted Hugo regarding this and possibly related concerns?

Also, there was mention that alluded to China having a healthy harvest of Walnut.
    If this is true, then Hugo's statement that Chamonix will no longer be offered in Walnut doesn't seem to make sense.
    Yes, I've been in communication with Hugo.

If you look at some of the links I posted previously in this thread you can see that Walnut is grown in China. However there may also be great demand affecting price or supply. Many craftsmen cure their wood for months to years before producing finished goods. It is possible this was planned quite some time ago.

Here's more:
    http://cekings.ucdavis.edu/files/34398.pdf
    http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...lnut_Wood.html

Hugo told me they would not be featuring Walnut again, only the lighter tone wood
    Apparently the design may change going forward as well.
    Yes, I saw your other posts and I understand that there may be demand and/or availability which may be a factor in affecting price.

I know woodworkers, furniture makers and other artisians. I understand the need for the wood to cure and dry properly before being worked. I use to play the cello and knew several bow makers and violin makers. They always kept a stockpile of wood that was in various stages of drying etc. Considering the amount of wood used to build a violin or other instrument of the violin family, most of these makers (primarily in Northern and Southern California), would usually have several years of stock available. Particularly Maple and Ebony.

I remember especially when Pernambuco was placed on the endangered species list, which drove the price up considerably for this wood. There were articles in String Magazine, The Strad and various other publications were makers were saying that the price increase would not affect them because of the several years supply the had on hand.

Considering that the Chamonix was constructed chiefly of carbon fibre, it just seems odd that Hugo would essentially say that Walnut would NOT be offered again. The statement doesn't seem to leave any room for re-introduction in the future.

Also when you consider that the U.S. and China are the top two growers of Walnut, this wood should be plentiful, unless disease or pests have adversely affected availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Flea77 View Post
    Anyone know if they will be bringing the walnut back? I was hoarding my pennies to get one in December (my Christmas present to myself) but I wanted either the dark walnut or that cherry colored wood with the gunmetal colored trim. I love teak, but not for my camera, too light colored for me.

Allan
    You may already know this, but Hugo told me that the current august batch is THE LAST 45n-1 batch... In a year or so, Chamonix will introduce fresh new models, but the 45n-1 will be discontinued!

- which is why I instantly ordered a teak/black 45n-1 w. universal bellows. PM him - there might be some unreserved left in the current batch. And well, early Christmas presents is an underrated joy

/lars

Quote Originally Posted by mortensen View Post
    You may already know this, but Hugo told me that the current august batch is THE LAST 45n-1 batch... In a year or so, Chamonix will introduce fresh new models, but the 45n-1 will be discontinued!

/lars
    Lars, I was told this too. But was not given an answer as to whether there is a different model 4x5 to be offered.

Lars, I was told this too. But was not given an answer as to whether there is a different model 4x5 to be offered.
    According to Hugo, there will be - a 45P or 45S. But those letters do not make me any wiser as to which specifications/changes that implies...?

But the release of this new model is the trouble here, since Hugo don't know when it will be available. He wrote to me, that it 'might' come out mid next year.

I have just by PayPal to Hugo, according to him the shipping date for this last batch is August 30th. Guess I was lucky... I ordered the Teak model with black metal parts and universal bellows... I'll post pictures as soon as the camera arrives.